Oscars

slash

I got 2 oscars today from hamilton, transported in a container with a pacu as well. all 3 in one pretty big container (chilly bin size) big

One of the oscars has a eye popping out, i researched this and found there are many symptoms but found hardly any cure ideas?

do u guys have any treatments to cure this?

I got them (only 3) in my newly setup 170cm x 50 x 52 tank, has only air bubbles, big drift wood, a 301 pump head and a 300w heater keeping them at 27-28*c .

any help would be great thanks.

Iam going to add plants and such later on.

How is that oscars eye looking?

I was given a couple of young oscars to look after for a while which i nicknamed Brutus and Ethel. Ethel developed a popped out eye and we spent oodles on treatments for her (feeling guilty as they weren't ours, we were only babysitting) But she never came right. She completly lost her eye andit eventually killed her. In the mean time we have been given "custody" of Brutus and he now lives in our 2 meter long tank with our freaky oscar, Fat Head. Which also proves that sometimes you can introduce oscars to each other successfully! :bounce:

Keep us updated about how your oscar gets on. Hopefully your one doesn't meet the same fate that Ethel did.

the oscars eye is stil popd :( does this mean that it will die for certain as i havent read any about saving them.?? i only got these 3 + big apple snail on tuesday, yesterday i went and bought one cf100 auqaone canister and another cf1200 canister filters, also bought the pond master clarifier. i noticed like 1-2 holes on the poped eye fish, today seems smaller :S, also they dont seem to eat wheni put food in, sometimes goes close but then goes back away from it. i use the protien sticks, any recommended foods?

i hope things work out for the fish :D, added metaflex and stresszyme for feed the filter,

also the pleco didnt seem to do too well in the big tank, kept running away when the oscars got closer, the pacu did nothing thou, so i returned it to its home (community tank) ,

also i read somwhere that i should have eiter 1 oscar or 6 oscars, anything bettween 2 and 5 will cause trouble within each other, mine seem to do fine, but should i just get 4 more incase? (later on) ?

any help would be appreciated :)!

Pop eye cannot be cured, some believe it is a fluid build up behind the eye caused by poor water conditions/environment. Doesn't necessarily mean the fish will die. Have a look for pop eye on google. I had a neon once that had it so doesn't just affect these big fish.

The first site I read said to hit it with a fish antibiotic. I hear they're only available through the vet in NZ.

I am so tempted to fill my suitcase with Maracyn and Maracyn-II before I come back home from the U.S., but I really don't want to have to attempt to explain to Customs why I felt the need to import half a suitcase of fish antibiotics. :(

I seem to recall that popeye is caused by a bacteria producing gas and oscars and angels are prone to it. If that is the case you would use an antibiotic but I am not sure which one as they are all restricted meds. One book I have advises using " the progressive salt treatment" which is putting the fish into a seperate container and progressivel increasing the salt up to about 0.5% over a day or two. Sea water is often more effective.

i went to the lfs, they said to add a teaspoon of tonic salt per 5gals,

That amount you may as well throw it over your shoulder for the use it will do.

We (NZKA) often use salt as a preventative to disease in our tanks at 1tspn per gallon,

so what 1tspn per 5 gallons is going to do I have no idea??

I don't think it would worry snails at that ratio.

Alan 104