Bristlenose or Pleco?

simfish

I would like to know if this is a bristlenose or a Pleco?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 870287.htm

It looked like a Pleco to me, cause I have one and giving it to Blue Tom as he will destroy my Aquascape Setup. I also thought Bristlenoes grow to about 3ish inches. This person speaks about them growing to a foot, which I know Pleco's do...... someone who is authority on this should correct her if she is wrong...... or am I?

One of the chaps at Jansens said bristlenose only grow to a few inches, about 6-8cm.......anything bigger is a pleco like my one which I am donating to the "Bluetom program"....otherwise heel go harvesting in my big tank. He only a few months old and already about 10cm, a mushroom I tell you.....

Hi

Yes Ancistrus Family are on Planet catfish and Fish Base..Do search..

Gives sizes..

Most to about 150mm or the old 6''

Then check out Hemiancistrus, just more spanners in the works, to work out what is really what...!! :-?

Tell your pet stores i have 900 Amazonia fish in Quarantine..see if faces glow..

Cheers Phill Collis :P

I have heavily planted tanks and TONS of bristlenoses. The only problems I have is when a breeding cave is made. The males tend to uproot everything except swords (strong roots). Aside form that, there's never any problems with plants getitng uprooted as long as they've got good root structures. Have to run - nursing two discus back to health from shock after a bad transport...

I think a BN is the best suckermouth catfish for any planted tank, personally. Plecos can be plant eaters but BNs seem to only eat decayingplant matter, which prevents the rotting and release of ammonia in the water. They're overall great fish for planted tanks. 6cm... including tails? If you've measured them properly - not including the tails - you should see bristle development and can sex them. Females would be better as they don't make burrows but hey, hook him up with a pair and it'll be an ideal place for breeding - lots of algae and no predators.

In all the years that I have kept Bristle nose catfish, the only plants they ever harmed were Barclaya longifolia,,,,and they absolutely destroyed those overnight... :(

I never thought that half a dozen B/N could eat 10 medium to large plants in 24 hours, but they did !!!

Alan.