getting my wires uncrossed

cees

One happy chappy. Been busy pulling cat5 wires all over the house. Busy hooking things up. One day I'll write it all up and post it here somewhere. All I need to figure out now is why some phones ring and others don't ...

fwiw 1-wire weather station is running now as well and even have some sensors in my fishroom (see graph below) The live fishroom webcam is coming soon.

fishroom.png

5 phones is max for ringing current in the area you are Cee's

More likely i'd say was your running whats known as 3 wire jacks without putting the blue wire through, easyest way to over come this is to replace your jacks with 2 wire jacks, easy to tell which is whick , 3 wire jacks have a M or and E on the front , 2 wire jacks have a 2 on the front. the ones with M's will still be ringing but ones with E's probaly not. :)

Do they all have a ring tone? If you've got a lot of phones connected directly to a single line, it could be drawing more current than allowed.

All phones work. All have dialtone, can talk etc. But, some ring some don't . even when they are the only phone connected. I must have my wires crossed somewhere

For initial testing I'm taking 2-wire phone of the back of the first 2-wire jackpoint in the house into patch panel . No other jackpoints are connected.

back of 2 wire jackpoint ->plug into front (rj45) of patchpanel -> cat5e to rj45 wall socket -> phone

In this setup one phone rings normally, the other phone doesn't. All have dialtone.

If I replace the rj45 wall socket with an ordinary bt-wall socket I know for sure that the phones that didn't ring before will ring now, haven't checked the other (working) one, must do that.

Got me stumped.

Eventually I will take the incoming phoneline (after the adsl split) into a separate phone patchpanel

2 wire incoming (via a bt-jackpoint ?) -> phone patchpanel -> cat5e/rj45 patchpanel -> to rj45 wall socket(s) -> phone

and

adsl -> modem -> switch -> cat5e/rj45 patchpanel -> to rj45 wall socket(s) -> computer

My understanding sofar is that that's the way it should work. All rj45 wall sockets etc are fine because the patch into switch for computer works just fine.

5 phones is max for ringing current in the area you are Cee's

More likely i'd say was your running whats known as 3 wire jacks without putting the blue wire through, easyest way to over come this is to replace your jacks with 2 wire jacks, easy to tell which is whick , 3 wire jacks have a M or and E on the front , 2 wire jacks have a 2 on the front. the ones with M's will still be ringing but ones with E's probaly not. :)

Before I started on this adventure all wall sockets where 2-wire and working fine. But, seem to remember now that I'm talking about it that the phone that is now ringing is the one that didn't work then. Was one I bought in Canada when a student there.

The whole idea is to get rid of these bt-jackpoints. Perhaps I can't ? Something funny with the NZ phones ?

allthough i'm sure it is a usless piece of information for those most likely more well informed than myself:

those rj3 thingees, i'm sure i remember having trouble with them in the past because some phones (like office PABX units) use the outside pair whilst home phones use the inside pair...

now tell me how useless that was! :)

Nah, not a problem. The connectors carry signals from all the connections from one socket to another so it shouldn't matter what the wire config would be. Besides, it's easy enought to recrimp the end with the right wires easy enough, eh?

thats would be so in and RJ45 plug or a 3 wire BT plug but NOT in a 2 wire BT jack as the interal strapping of the jack loops points 1 , 2 & 3 together and points 4,5 & 6 together.

I'm following the above with interest (while scratching my head and put another searchphrase into google ;-) )

I'm pretty sure I've got it all wired in ok because the phones work except for the ringing. In a 2-wire jackpoint as Billaney says points 1 , 2 & 3 are looped together and points 4,5 & 6 together. Do they go straight through ? In otherwords taking signal from the front with a bt plug is the same as taking signal from 1,2,3 and 4,5,6 from the back ? Or does the jackpoint do something to it ?

I realise this should really be another topic in another fourm. Perhaps one of the mods will come in and split the topic.

Anyway, what then makes the phone ring? Voltage, current, brainwaves ??. What is missing in my setup then?

I'll do some more testing with different configurations tonight. For now all I know is that if I use a bt-socket at the end of the line (going through patchpanel and so on) Phone A and B have dialtone, phone A rings but phone B doesn't . If I use rj45 socket at end of line both phones have dialtone but now only phone B will ring.

What am I missing, what's the difference.

I think I wil have to draw it all because I must be making a mistake somewhere.

On anolgue phones there is a 50v (dc I think) on the line that makes it ring. You need to find out what sort of outlets you have, there is a 2 wire configuartion and a 4 wire (4 wire isn't common now, but if you using an old socket it might be 4 wire. The 4 wire setup has the ring tone (ie 50v) on seperate lines from the voice, therefore if your using a 4 wire socket with a 2 wire system you will get the dial tone but no ringing.

There is one other possiblilty I can think of, on the bottom of your phone there is an RAL number, basically this number equates to the amount of power the phone needs to ring/fuction properly, the way it works is you add all the RAL number of all your phones together and they have to total up to less tham 5 (I think, gezz it's been years since I've dealt with this stuff! So someoone please correct me if I get it wrong)

I realise this should really be another topic in another fourm. Perhaps one of the mods will come in and split the topic.

I see no reason to split this. It was your thread to start with, your original request was addressed and now you are in discussion about the consequences - sort of

.... but... seeing it is not "actually" a "sale" of any description.. it could be moved to the Off Topics.. as the discussion is very interesting.

Sorry Cees.. but you wrote the guidelines :)

okidoki. split the original topic and moved it here.

Setup is a whole bunch of wires through the whole house to deal with computer network, phone network, micro-lan (for weather station and fishroom monitoring with 1-wire devices) and video-signal.

This is the current status:

Computer network is fine.

Phone has a few problems.

Microlan works but is not fully integrated

Video works.

I want to get rid of those bt-phone sockets and have all modular rj45 sockets though the house. That way I can decide whether a socket is computer/phone/microlan and all I need to do is move a patch cable around in the central location where the patchpanels are.

Phone is confusing still.

Cees

Cees:

In a new telecom 2 wire BT jackpoint there is still a 1uf cap inside connecting pin 2 to a wire in the phone, This i think is to make it ring, so there fore as you arnt using BT jackpoints in your ph network maybe placing a cap behind the RJ45 socket in the patch panel or RJ45 wall socket may work, see image below.

site http://www.telepermit.co.nz/PTC200X12.html

FIG10.1.GIF

Thanx

peter