project No2.... pond

Joze

I have the hole dug now figuring out the cheapest way of filtration. This is what I have come up with so far.......weir and sand filter system similar to swimming pool, marley box spouting with top and bottom inflow to basket weir for large debris catchement. Rest goes through filter with 1/2 filter sand (2 bags @ $17 each )1/2 gravel mixture. I will be piping this 15 metres to pool pump shed and use the electrics there, as it is already set up with sump, electrics etc. My biggest query is the actual size of the water pump 1/4 hp? 1/16 hp? Some sort of diffusion apparatus for water pressure? I am also getting ambitious as I plan to keep livebearers in it with a solar water heating system for wintering. The swimming pool 2 metres from the pond sight averages 25C over summer without heating, covering or a dark surface, so summer temp and windchill isnt a problem. OK guys throw your ideas and "scotsman" theories at me on this one. I have a site picture if anyone wants it.

How big is the pond? I'd go more with the actual flow rating of the pump than the power. Probably you'd want to aim for at least twice the pond volume per hour, sounds like you'd lose a lot of flow pumping it that 15 meters so it might cut it down to 1-1.5times per hour which should be ok for a pond.