Ich

cracker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to treat the tank two or three times over a year so as to help get rid of the original issue, with "stop parasite".

QT every new fish for 6 weeks. (week one =0, week 2 and 3 = copper, following weeks = 0).

"Reef dip" every rock, coral, shell, zoo or whatever before it goes in.

That may do it. But it will more than likely take many many months.

then Im going to prove my point by adding a powder blue tang as my last fish and show it getting zero whitespot.

Unfortunately that won't prove that there is no ich in your tank. All it will mean is that the powder blue didn't noticeably contract it.

I've added a powder blue to my tank, it never had any outbreak of ich, but I know ich is in my tank.

That's what i mean by it not being a problem with calm and happy fish.

Dump a lot of fish into a new environment quickly, and your going to have problems.

Layton

Hi guys

What do you mean by 'reef dip'?

That was one of the parts of the process I was having difficult with when working out my quarantine procedure. If trying to get a SW up and going how do we introduce the coral types without ich going along for a ride?

Ideally they should be put in isolation tank as well but then you have the additional problem of trying to keep them going with good enough lighting etc...

Applying my experience of other 'stock' this eradication is a toughy but may be do able. Some issues to deal with for me:

- sub-clinical (non-observable) forms of the 'disease'.

In most animals (even humans) many diseases only presents itself when the animal's immunity is low eg we all have bacteria affecting us now that is being suppressed. Stress is one of the best ways to reduce natural resistance. Ich will be able to cycle without us knowing.

- many of even the best of drug treatments only deal with the MAJORITY of the population - enough for the affected animal to recover and restore its natural 'balance'. We also have to be careful we don't breed 'super' ich by TOO MUCH treatment - the tough ones getting tougher.

- Any ecosystem is exactly that - a system. Every action to it has a reaction. I am rapidly learning a natural balance in a SW tank is the best way to 'manage' the tank. Management by non-management!

Its great to be able to share our thinking and sometimes agree to disagree!

Don't ya just hate newbies putting their 5c worth in :wink:

"Seachem reef dip".

dip all LR and corals in the solution for 5 to 10 minutes and throw them in your tank directly afterwards.

It is a coral disinfectant that will kill all parasitic diseases, plus others that may be attached to them.

one bottle will last for years!

I dont know much about ICH but I would imagine that getting rid of every last one would be near impossible. Similar organisms can live for years in a dormant state, so I dont see why ich would be an exception.

Also if you use NSW wouldnt that be a potential place to get the infection from?

Also if you use NSW wouldnt that be a potential place to get the infection from?

I think you hit the nail on the head, NSW would contain many parasites and bactaria.

Many parasites will coexist with fish and only become a problem if fish gets stressed. in other words many factors can contribute to the reduced resistance of fish.

Crytocaryon is almost always present in aquarium water.

Whitespot usually develops after drastic ,temporary changes in water environment,such as overheating or cooling. typical of summer.

Quoted from one of my many diseases books.

You could always ozone it!

I love the idea of ozone. Leaves all the minerals, nukes everything else. No more waterborne Ich or diatoms. I would imagine it would help rid your tank of ich a lot faster. Crystal clear water too.

Someone had one on tradme for $900

Take that expensive plunge cracker!! I dare you :D

Very interesting.

I can't recall ever having a case of ich in my reef since I set it up aver 10 years ago, althought I do remember worrying about getting it in the reef in the early days. I probably did have mild cases of it, but even the fish that died over the years, those I found anyway, never showed any signs that I can remember.

I did use ozone, however, up until the time I moved the reef to my basement last May.

I suppose stating this will now be the kiss of death.

Steve

Right.....

third dose has been installed...this time I wont run out of the damn stuff.

I have heaps!

ALL visible ich has gone from fish.

Now just finish the dosinf for 40 odd days to rid all the MV and remaining ICH.

Going very well.

Reef is trying it as he has a mild case....working well for him too I think.

Reef?