Stripping...

herefishiefishie

...an Electric Yellow that is :roll:

Firstly I use a fish only bowl & a paper clip. Lisa is the photographer.

DSCF1042.jpg

I like to wait 2 weeks, so the fry are free swiming, about 3 to 4 days early here, no dramas. I "usually" note down when I first notice a girl holding. Here the female is resting before I have another go at her. This girl has held only once before, as she gets older stripping in one hit will be a breeze.

DSCF1044.jpg

Frenchy :D

does the paper clip go into the mouth or is there a point on the fish mouth that would make them spit? I have never had the oppurtunity to do so as I always lose the batch or the other fish hassle them so mush that they spit out the eggs and they get eaten.

i have fish that spit at 3 days so i get out eggs after 2 days and put them in a 400ml glass jar, hanging on the side of the tank with an air stone. i have had good results with this (50 cyrtocara moorii, 40e.yellows, 30 aurtauses still have eggs sacks, baenschis, and quite a few venustus although quite alot of the venustus are infertile.

thanx

Daniel btw never thought of using a paper clip. :bounce:

The reason I use a paper clip, is because its rounded, harder to damage the mouth. I lightly press down on the bottom lip, with the female submerged in the water, I rock gently back & forth the fry flush out.

I know people who just press on the gill plate, which opens the mouth. I think that way is higher risk to the fish.

If females get hassled to much, when you notice her holding catch her out & place her in another tank.

I know of people that strip straight away, eggs into a seive, in a seperate tank(same water as main tank) & an airstone on gently to keep the eggs moving. Get more fry this way too.

Everytime i strip our female i wait for as long as i can before doing it, the eggs are fertilised before she picks them up so ifs she still holding them after a few days i'd say they are fertilised, you can strip right from day one but i prefer to wait untill they are either free swimming or close to it, usually 2 weeks plus if you can.

Who me :lol:

I take it Nicky the yellow female is still young? if its the yellows I am thinking of then just let her go for a couple more goes. When young they haven't got the jist of the breeding properly yet. Plus if others are picking on her :evil: add more caves to give her somewhere to hide or when you notice her holding, either

(a) strip straight away & raise with sieve & air stone in seperate tank.

(b) remove female to here own tank, you will know if the eggs are fertile as the gullet will get bigger over time. (days)

For those that don't have spare tanks & have fish that pick at fry nets. Try making a floating fry holder, I use these if I have mulitple fry over weekly periods as 2cm fry will eat 1cm fry.

use an ice cream container

4 strips of polystriene,

silicone

2 pieces of fine mesh(fly screen type of stuff)

craft knife.

Cut a square hole into 2 opposite sides of the ice cream container. About 10cmsq

Silicone mesh(should be 2 to 3cm larger than hole) to cover the holes.

Silicone Poly to the top off the ice cream container, on the outside,one each side.

I will put a pic up tonight of one I prepared earlier, :lol:

You could of added; looks better though as its own post.

I remember my first time, so nervous, I had 2 electric blue girls holding, I got a mate to strip the first one so I could see, then I had a go at the 2nd. Once you strip a couple of times its gets easier :o

Again well done, glad I finally posted something helpful for others :lol: