terracotta pots

Kriber

Hi all,

Does anybody know whether ordinary orange terricotta pots leach any dyes or other possibly harmful chemicals when placed in an aquarium?

I cut a pot straight down the middle to form 2 'golden arches' :lol: , no wait orange arches one of which I cut the bottom off so it has two entrances, this exposed more unfinished surfaces than an uncut pot would have although the pot wasn't sealed with any waterproof cpds.

Any ideas if this will be safe for caves in a breeding tank? Or should I have purchased some other type of pot that didn't cost $0.89 from The Warehouse, maybe the next size up $0.99! :D:D

Later alligators,

Kriber :)

I have heard warnings about some terracotta but have never heard, or had myself, any problems with them and I have used a fair number of them over the years. The only ones I would break for the purpose would be cheap Warehouse ones! :lol:

Perhaps some of your more expensive fishes might prefer the upmarket $0.99c model. :lol:

I used a terracotta pot for my Kribs. I cut mine about 80% and used the left over portion as a partial cover over the entrance. This gave them plenty of privacy. Worked too! Too damm well maybe. Got more Kribs than I can point a stick at. :lol:

• 3 months later...