Urgent help needed with filter

Melanie

I think my filter in my big (10 gallon) fish tank has stopped working, but I'm not sure. I just cleaned it out but it's still going pretty weakly in my opinion. Any suggestions? Is there a way I can tell if it's going well enough to sustain my fish for the rest of the month until their fish sitter comes and gets them? (I'm going out of the country.)

I really can't afford to buy anything else (ie a new filter) because I'm leaving so soon and kind of need to eat while I'm away, but their tank is looking really mucky already even though I changed the water yesterday. Will changing the water more frequently hurt or help?

10 gallons? You could probably change a bucket twice a week constantly without any problems, too much more and you start to lose some of the bacteria and the water parameters will be hard to keep constant.

What sort of filter is it. Model no etc.

It's a Micron filter.

I usually don't change much water and things are usually fine.

I'm worried because I had a fish looking ill yesterday and figured changing a couple buckets would be the way to go. When I was done changing I noticed the filter wasn't doing its job.