Wet/Dry Millenium 1000 Filter

Aqua

Has anybody got any experience with these filters?? I've got one going in my tropical tank, which is 56L, moderately planted, with 12 neons & a peppered cat, and it's only been going about a month, and the carbon filter thingee seems to be really grubby already! I've given it a rinse under the tap, which has cleaned it quite a bit...

I was just wondering, what sort of timeframe should the carbon filter last for? I don't really want to pay $14 every month for a new one if I can help it.

Other than that, this is a brilliant filter! When I first plugged it in, the water was extremely murky, and within an hour, it was crystal clear!!!

Chances are you don't even need the carbon. If your fish are healthy and water clear, then your ammonia levels are probably taken care of by bacteria growth in the filter. I may be wrong but I think carbon only lasts a couple of weeks before it stops absorbing. So you've been running without carbon for the last 2 weeks anyway.

Put it back in since it acts as extra housing for bacteria and maybe buy an emergency cartridge incase your water conditions change or you need to remove medication - then forget about it. If you still want to replace it, can it be refilled with the much cheaper bulk/ loose carbon?

Cheers

Shilo

I have had one of the millenium 2000 filters for about six months. Mine is still running with the original carbon/mechanical filter cartridge, I just rinse it every week. If you wanted to put other media in it would have to be quite rigid and fit into the slot provided otherwise the filter will not work properly. It doesn't really matter (to me anyway) that the carbon is spent by now, I just have it in there for the mechanical filtration and it seems to work fine. On the tank that I have it on it is in combination with u/g filtration.

Hi Midas

Have to agree with you totally. I said that before on other forums. What is the use of having a filter which does not need maintenance for 6 months or even a year and then having to replace the charcoal which, according to the manufactures, should be changed every 2 to 4 weeks. A total waste of money. Yes, charcoal does work, for a while. And so does cheap filterwool. A big hype. My filtercartriges contain charcoal. I don't mind. I only will change the cartridge when it is blocked. Not when the hand-books says so.

John