Food

Jimmy

So, I guess the role of the gelatin was to solidify quickly into a nice pellet once dropped into ice water. Do I now just take my food mash, and drop it onto something like wax paper and freeze that to make pellets?

My wife is going to be pissed that I made her buy me gelatin...I may just tell her I used it anyway. :oops:

So, I guess the role of the gelatin was to solidify quickly into a nice pellet once dropped into ice water. Do I now just take my food mash, and drop it onto something like wax paper and freeze that to make pellets?

My wife is going to be pissed that I made her buy me gelatin...I may just tell her I used it anyway. :oops:

Well what I do is wash out all the small stuff that is too small for the fish to eat, then spread the rest out in a very thin layer on gladwrap and freeze. Creates a thin piece of frozen food that can easily be broken off to get a piece for feeding.

I guess the gelatin would work if the idea is to get all the fine stuff bound together so the fish can eat it. Just I'm not comfortable with putting that in the tank. However, if Fenner recommends it, which I didn't know, it must be OK.

But what I prefer to do is not use a blender, but instead freeze the food & then grate with a cheese grater. This produces all bite sized pieces, no fine stuff too small to eat, and if done quickly enough can be put back in the deep freeze before it thaws, so it's in a loose form that is easy to take the right amount for daily feeding.

Good advice from both of you, thanks. I think I will create a sheet of washed mash until I actually have corals to feed and then go unwashed.

As for the $.70, it was more the fact that I reminded her on 3 successive shopping trips before she actually brought it home. I was only kidding, really, she is a gem and we had a laugh about it last night.

I have a question and please forgive me if it sounds stupid. Nori has been recommended as a vegetable element to the food. Would any seaweed do? Are there particular types of seaweed that can be collected and used? Are there any that should be avoided?

Also, is a multivitamin supplement recommended? Bob Fenner's recipe called for it to be dropped onto the nori. If I should be using one, is there one in particular that I should use?

Thanks!

Many of our locally available seaweeds contains toxins and repellants, that's how they manage to grow around the rocks and not get eaten.

One that can be used sorry I only know the maori name and don't know how it's spelt but it's said Paringau (does that mean anything) anyhow we used to gather it and eat it when I lived in Gisborne. Grows on the rocks at certain times of year, spring if my memory serves. It's a few inches long and very green. I have seen it in the rock pools at Muriwai beach, and in very small (unharvestable) amounts at Milford beach North Shore.

But going with Nori may in the end be the easiest.

Vitamins, many of the supplements they add such as Selcon are not available here. Best plan is to use some flake or pellet of good quality in with the diet so fish will get anything possibly lacking through that.