Start of Helifax's Tank (lots of pictures)

HelifaxNZ

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helifax, while your tank is new, the ideal way to deal with it, if it's the only one, would be to remove the rock and pour some boiling water on it.

When removing the rock, make sure you know exactly where it is, it will shrivel right up and be surprisingly hard to see. Then dribble boiling water on it from the kitchen jug, for about 30 seconds. Don't get boiling water all over the rock though it will kill bacteria etc. hold the rock at an angle where you can get water where the anemone is and not much else.

If there's more than one aptaisia, or the rock is too hard to remove, don't bother with this, buy some Joes Juice, it's great stuff.

But do aim for 100% eradication of aptaisia. That's what I've done and it is a comfortable feeling. Some people like Cookie Extreme deliberately keep aptaisia, but he has been around a long time and knows what he is doing, and he has his reasons.

wASP.....hE EATS aIPTASIA ON TOAST...THATS WHY HE GROWS IT!!

no they taste awful even with lots of tomato sauce and garlic :D (just can't see how one could eat jellyfish, but they do in parts of asia).

no the reason i keep them is so i can sell them to newcomers as a baby LTA or a new type of xenia. (just kidding hazymranch)

BTW even all my nice really big ones are gone now, lucky that i have a small colony in the garage thats mutipies nicely. :wink:

I bought some Joes Juice in the weekend and Yeip it sure did the job!

Last night looking at the tank, I notice I have 2 bristle worms and one of them is quite long! I'm going to try and catch that one and take it out. Small I can handle but when they are getting too big, I think they need to go out.

Anyone interested in having a long bristle worm? Maybe cut it up and feed to your fish?

Let me know before tonight or else I will nuke it.

Pick it up with tweezers, you don't want to get any of those bristles in your fingers. They are like little slivers of glass can be hard to get out.

Also, may not be quite as easy to catch as you think. They normally keep their rear end in some safe posy, and can retract into it real fast, soon as they think you're coming!

Let's know how it goes :D