Start of Helifax's Tank (lots of pictures)

HelifaxNZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got my Laguna fixed. It was the impeller and HFF replaced and all sweet!

Only problem now is that because I have more flow, my overflow is now making lots and lots of noise.

I did make the mistake of having the overflow pipe the same size as the bulkhead (plumbing size is 20mm). What size overflow piping do you guys recommend for 20mm plumbing?

at the mo its very noisy cause i havent fiddled with it yet, i need to change two things, size of hole and amount of flow, i have too much flow for my overflow, so its over working the overflow, that will be solved when i use part of the return for a fluidised reactor in the next few days

A quick update. Have modified the Durso to 25mm and working much better. I have also changed it so one is sucking in the water to the sump while the other I have reversed the U bend upwards so it is a safe guard for when/if the other one has something stuck in it, the second will take in the water so the main tank doesn't overflow.

The noise from the water entering the sump is still VERY noisy. I'll have to work on this one. Most of you will have a cupboard underneath your tanks that you can close, but my sump is down the bottom exposed.

I've also noticed that my temperature is stabe on 24.5oC whether the light is on or off which is sweet! :D

Tested the lights and they are all switching on at the right times that I have set.

Now I need to drain the freshwater and go down the road to get some NSW.

Cracker - I haven't forgotten to call you to checkout your system. It's just been chaotic at home. Will call you later this week. Maybe see you after work on Thur or Fri if suits.

I'll try taking more photos when I can.

Right, I have added the NSW and have noticed the temperature is 1 degree higher than using Freshwater. Still in a respectable temp of 25.3oC.

Here are some pics...

I added black acrylic around the top because the bright light was just too strong for me. Definately much better.

tanksalt.JPG

sumpsalt.JPG

sumpinlet.JPG

Now I do have one problem! :(

Micro bubbles!!! :evil:

All being generated by the overflow to the sump. You maybe able to see in the picture above. Do you guys have any suggestions on minimising this? I do have more flow to the sump now that I have the Laguna 5.

Thanks. :hail:

That sponge you've got wedged against the pipe in that last pic, do you have any more of that? It looks fairly open weave. If you have some more, and can put right across that section of the sump, below the base of the pipe, in such a way that all water has to pass through it, that will eliminate nearly all the bubbles. In time the sponge may clog and need a wash, so do it in such a way that there is a small gap water could go through if it clogs.

Plus I second the sponge on the return pump inlet, but do the other sponge too.

Actually, the use of sponges is second best, because they have some drawbacks like needing cleaning, and not reducing nitrate. The better way is to design a sump with baffles in such a way the bubbles are eliminated without use of a sponge. But your sump is very small & I think you may not have room to do it with baffles alone, you may have to resort to sponges also.

Thanks guys. It has helped a lot and is now much quieter.

PC030223.JPG

PC030225.JPG

I may need a little wool to totally get rid of the bubbles, but basically it has reduced it to about 90%-95%.

I got some LR on Friday with thanks to Jetskisteve and bought one big one from HFF which I cut down. I needed a larger one for more height. I wouldn't mind a little more height though.

Here's what it looks like. A bit foggy right now.

PC030228.JPG

PC030230.JPG

Here's a full view of the tank tonight - a little bit cleaner.

PC030232.JPG

Been waiting a long time for this!! :D Can't wait to add stock.

One other thing. I have a UPS. At this stage I have the heater and the pump from the sump connected to it. Would this be ok as the extreme basics if the power goes off?

I was just thinking of changing this to just the two little in-tank pumps and that's it. Would that suffice too?

Thanks Reef.

Just an update on the tank:

This morning it is crystal clear. Micro bubbles are down to just 1-2% showing.

Tests from last night 3/12 11:10pm:

PH=8.3

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=0

Temp=26o

Salinity=1.023 (using a digital salinity tester)

S/PPT=31 (using a digital salinity tester)

Ammonia=0.6

So all good so far.