sick tang, you just HAVE to feel for him

wasp

Sad story - sometimes you just can't win. :(

The white spot on him cleared up. But then a cowfish died overnight for reasons unknown. I removed the dead cowfish but the poison was affecting all the other fish. Frantically did a 100% waterchange and then spent the next few hours trying to keep all the fish swimming as they were just tipping on their sides etc. Wasn't sure if they can recover from cowfish poison but tried to give it my best shot. However eventually lost every other fish in the tank, including the powder blue. :cry:

Worst fish disaster I've ever had, been pretty lucky up to now, this type of thing always happened to other people.

A read from Wet Web media:

Ostraciidae, from the Greek ostracum, meaning "shell", the box, trunk or cowfishes are found all over the tropical Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans. Fourteen genera with about thirty three species. These may be the most characteristic of fishes with their bodies encased in a bony carapace.

The family is also notable for some members possession of "ostracitoxin" a toxic discharge substance of some trunkfishes. If/when sufficiently disturbed whole tanks, and recirculating systems of livestock have been wiped out. Though this is rare, the cautions listed elsewhere in this piece on netting, acclimation, and tankmates should be heeded if you intend to try a trunk/boxfish.

The genus Lactoria, especially Lactoria cornuta should be dealt with carefully; I have witnessed three poisoning "episodes" with this species, one from a dead specimen in a filter, another from a harassed individual, the third from the careless introduction of shipping water into a display system.

Lactoria and members of the genus Lactophrys are commonly called Cowfishes for their "horns", a conspicuous pair on the head and another doing rear-guard near the anal fin. The Smooth Trunkfish, Lactophrys triqueter is the most frequently offered member of the genus, with the Scrawled (Lactophrys quadricornis) and Honeycomb (Lactophrys polygonius) cowfishes occasionally available. All three hale from the western tropical Atlantic and grow to at least eleven inches in length.

Did he get harrassed A?

From another site:

The longhorn cowfish must be dealt with carefully when in an aquarium enviroment. If overly harrassed or stressed, it can release the toxic substance, ostracitoxin which will poison the entire fish tank.

Dunno if I would risk it after seeing this.

Thanks all, and very interesting info Craig.

And Cookie, I remember your incident. Just one other thing I think I gave the impression it was my main tank, it was actually in a frag tank so I've still got most of my fish.

Do you think it was the cowfish? or something else in the water?

Wondered about that can't rule out something wrong with the water, but I think the cowfish is the most likely explanation.