Aggresive male zebra

James

I've been trying to get my zebra's to breed, a few weeks ago I was having trouble with my females, this week I've got trouble with my male. I've tried moving the male into one of those hexegon tank thats about 4 feet tall, I've been putting single females in there with him two that have carried before, but when I put the females in there, the male beat them up the second one didn't last a day, but the first one was in there for about 2 weeks with baby a giraffe and a mandarin. The male is doing everything he would normally do such as building his nest, but he keeps on beating up the females. Would anyone know anything that I could do. I've also got a 4 foot tank with mainly haps in it, but I wanted to seperate the zebra's to ensure their was no cross breeding with a white zebra in there.

in my experience its hard to get any malawi's to breed if its just a pair in the tank cause as you know they are really aggressive, the only way is to have a good ratio of the same fush in the tank ie- 1 male 5 females, or to have them in a community tank with other malawis but give them plenty of caves for the female to hide in while shes holding, but take her out and strip her or let her spit them out in another tank.

I've got 5 females but I thought I might have better results if I kept the male alone with 1 female as the females were having their own domestics with two of them on the brink of death. I will try tonight when I get home and put them all into the one tank and see how they go. I've been a bit spectical about having the malawis in the tall hexagon tank as there isn/t much room going across the tank but a lot going up, would this type of tank suit malawis?

Hi James

Why not put the breeding male and females in the 4 foot hap tank and remove the other Zebra (leave Haps in tank aswell). The more fish in a tank the better the females will be. NEVER put one male and one female alone in a tank.

When it comes to making lots of hiding places for your females that never seems to work as they always seem to hang round the top when hasseled.

I have better luck with heaps of tall fake/plastic plants along the back of the tank and as your females start to hold remove them to a holding tank. When you finshed with what you want to do just remove the plastic plants.

Just another option as this works for me :D