Orisis Babies??

DiverJohn

brother

it looks like you have cut it from the mother plant. you should not have done that. Pitty, Orisis is a beautiful plant. (any picture of the main plant).

the plantlet stalk should be left attached the the main plant until the leafs and roots are well develop.

if this is cut, i do not think anything can happened now. i do not think there is any seed for you to geminate.

Sorry, not a good news from me. :cry:

Thanks Plant Man,

Good news, that "stalk" is soo big that I was able to carefully move it out of the tank, and lay it gently on the sheet of paper for its photo shoot Then put it back under the glass :)

The shoot is ( i estimate) about 60 - 70 cm long. The main plant is about 50 cm across and about 45 cm high, good colour, and even the shoot is red!! The main plant is producing 1 or 2 new leaves every 7-10 days. Any idea how long the shoot takes too mature? how long is it going to get?? Could this explain the brown/green floaty "pollen" like stuff I have been getting on the water surface??

I have had planty of shoots come off the smaller swords ( tenelus, leopard etc ) thats how they have spread, but this is a bit different.

the small sword goes with the runner that spread throught the gravel.

this one grow out of the water. i had mine growig about 70 cm long. i though it is going to touch my celing. i think the shoot is call rizon (can someone correct my spelling?)

at some point, you will need to sort of twirl it back into the water. there the node will flowered and plantlet will grow. made sure you give it a little more juice for the plantlet (water fertliser).

if the shoot or stalk is still stiff, if you push it a little for a while, it begin to loosen. wait for 12 hours and slowly twirl it back under the water.

be sure to show us the flower in your picture and save one plantlet for me to buy.

All the best. :P

Plantman: Will get you the "recipie" tonight. But its not flash, 1 teaspoon of this 1/2 of that. But pretty close to the recipies on the net.

Caryl: No worries, I am hoping to get some flowers for exactly that reason. I might have to update the pic i supplied him too, its a weeeee bit bigger now.

If you make a ring of airline tubing or similar.

Place around the stem of the flower spike to form a floating circle.

Slowly pull the stem under water,

you wil see the pollen come off the flower onto the water surface.

Slowly bring the flower spike up thru the floating pollen.

Wallah !!

The flower is fertilized.

Alan 104.

Thought some of you might be interested in this ( I know Plant man will be!! :D )

Here is a pic of the E. Orisis back in May....

Orisis28May05003Small.jpg

And here is one I took today. From the glass on the right hand side to the tip of the leaf on the left its 58cm or near enough 23 inches

Orisis07OCT05002Small.jpg

Sweet, now i need to clear some space for the Orisis.

this is mine Echinnodorus - Red Special, about 6 months ago. it really is jack-in-the-bean-stalk. i give it it a little push and stalk soften and i slowly twirl it back into the water, submerge. the height of my tank is 50cm. :o

Jackandthebeanstalk.jpg

when the leaves and roots are established, cut the stalk. Each node could mean a few plantlets. :lol:

Echinnodorus-RedSpecial.jpg

plant then in the gravel and off they go. :P

EchinnodorusRedSpecial02.jpg

Red..., Go Go Go!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

HI Plant man...

Heres that recipie...

Initially i was very kindly supplied the following ingredients scaled off...

9g of trace mix

14g K2SO4 - Potasium Sulphate

6g KNO3 - Potassium Nitrate

33g MgSO4 - Magnesuim Sulphate

This was mixed with 300ml of water. And the dosing rate I calculated out was 1/12th of a ml (2 drops) per / 10gal

Or 0.08 ml / 38 litres

However, this is difficult to measure and could easily cause over dosing. So The 300ml of solution I keep as "stock" in the refridgerator.

In the latest batch of diluted solution I am using 75ml of stock + 125ml water, and dosing at 5 mls per day.

HTH

John

Hi, I'm new here but could I make a couple of suggestions. Your plant is E. osiris and try not cutting the runner. If you leave the plantlettes until they have good leaves and roots you can carefully work the plant lose and replant it. This allows other plants (which may even be on the same node) to continue to develop properly. You will find with many Echinodorus sp. that when all the plantlettes have been removed more will grow in a few months.

Also a warning: I have an E. osiris in a 600mm high tank with a clear plastic lid and when it sent a runner straight up it hit the lid in 4 days and snapped the end off. I lost about 6 - 8 nodes and only ended up with 2 surviving, one of which is producing 2 plantlettes at the moment. It can also grow pretty large. Mine is about 400mm x 400mm, so it needs a reasonable sized tank.