Zebra Danio's

HandS

Hi HandS,

personaly I think a 30sq tank is to small(2ft is better), not for spawning but zebera danios can be very prolific and the tank may become over crowed before the fry are big enough to move safely.

A spawning mop will work fine with shallow water and a spawning trap to help stop the adults from eating there eggs.

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

just a update, On my first atempt things went well, i used a large net and sat it in the tank and put the danios in the net (2f, 3m). After only 1 night the bottom of the tank was covered in eggs, i removed the adults, but the eggs fungesed within 2 days. On my second attempt, i did the same thing, but the eggs where scattered on the second night, i removed the adults again but this time i gave the tank a squrt of Methylene Blue. Most of the eggs hatched this morning and im stuck with the job of feeding all these little guys :lol:

Any advise for feeding???

I do have a infusoria culter going, but wondering if there is anything better, And advise on how/when to feed

hey mate.When i was breeding them.I used mosqito betting and hung it around the edges of the tank.poped the fish in the net and the eggs falled out of reach.Put the tank near a window there for they will breed when the sun starts coming up.raise the temp a few degrees on the night of breeding.Condition the parents on white worms and good flake.

Great news! I'd do 10% daily water changes with water of the same temp and pH and feed 3-5 times per day if you can for max growth. Perhaps lower the water level so they can find the food easier, although knowing these creatures they're probably zooming around already haha

If your half handy with glass, make a tank shallower and slightly smaller than your breeding tank with no base and glue stainless steel mesh to the base. Glue a couple of straps to the top so it sits on the tank (this will act as a brace as well) You can use this for any fish with non sticky eggs. The eggs fall through the net and can't get eaten.

that pic was my first attempt which had 2 females and 3 females, i think that would have been fine but i dident add Methylene Blue. my second attempt with the same setup was 2 females and 1 male, and that has given me the fry. http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/Drerio.html is the site i used for refrence for my spawnings. :bounce: :bounce:

that pic was my first attempt which had 2 females and 3 females, ifor my spawnings.

Now there is the problem with your spawning.

You must have a male with the females, otherwise you don't get fertilized eggs.

I see you corrected your error the next time, and of course, the inevitable has happened.

Heaps of babies from the fertilized eggs.

Good going.

To feed them:-

Use the yolk from a hard boiled egg, squeezed thro a hankie into water to make a yolk suspension.

You'll need snails in the tank, cause any that is not eaten, will pollute the water rapidly.

Alan 104