Pacu?

fishy family

You want advice??

Why ask??

Have you done research on these fish??

Really??

I bought six fish by another name, and they have turned into giants and still growing.

Max out at two foot long and just as deep with a body thickness of at least six inches.

Still interested??

These a tank breakers if ever there were ones,

and of course, if you do decide to get them,

that you have a tank like Kelly Tarlton's.

These are a fish that I hpe is NOT passed by MAF to come into NZ.

They are WAY to big for the aquarium trade and should never be imported for private aquarists.

It's just too cruel, because of the size they get to, and the cost required to house them.

Also, I don't think they'd survive if they were released into Lake Taupo.

I'm told by reliable sources tho, that fried in butter and sprinkled with coriander,

they make a dish hard to beat.

Don't forget the juice of one lemon as well.

DON'T GET THEM

Alan 104

Try taking him to Hollywood Fishfarm Mt Roskill, find some fish that he likes and make a note of the names, BEFORE buying any take the names home and do a google search on them which will give you an idea of the conditions they require and to a degree compatibility with other fish then finally check with the wealth of knowledge in here.

:o thanks I will do that.

He was wanting a turtle but my husband got talking to him about piranahs then they were looking at red bellied pacu and I was left off in the nice peaceful fish corner all by myself.

Guess his holiday project is researching fish. Can think of worse things to do.

Thanks for the heads up guys. :)

Robbie

Two foot long?? 60 cm?? Faaar out, I was about to get some to keep my Oscars comapny. I didnt knwo they got That big! Darn, if they get that big, I guess they arent fed (cheapish) normal fish flake food. LoL.

I agree with Caryl 100%. Try Oscars - excellent pets, still big, but with a huge character. Kind of cute while young too... :D

if he likes bigger badder fish,he can come and take a few baby jags home,free. my jags live in a four foot tank,and breed,so must be happy.a male jag when gets to know you is quite entertaining.each one has his own personality.

thay do get large(male 35cm)

thay will live with a lot of fish until breeding,then lives with NO ONE

i have a few large fish he is welcom to come to see what thay grow into

NO PACU to big and ugly

there is a lot better fish out there to choose from

if you are not sure ask in here

:) thanks Monaro for the offer, we are at least a month away from actual fish as he still needs to get setup and the tank cycled. I will take him into hollywood this week and get him to find out all he can about the ones he likes and will then come back here for furthur advice. :)

The oscar site is great I spent way too much time at work last night looking at it.

Robbie

My brother had six pacu's about 4" long .. gave 2 away to a mate .. he kept them in tropical conditions .. my bro kept them at room temp ... gets cold up at leigh ... within a year the trop pacus where triple this size ( 12") compared to the temp pacus ( 6") ... so you can keep them by stunting their growth thru slowly the metabolism ... sounds like " oh I wish this puppy could stay like this forever".. :-?.................. 8)

personally I think they are a s**t fish and should be banished as they can and do live in our temperate conditions.. :o

yea i have them and they r f****n huge!!!!,definalty not a good fish for a small tank,they grow rapidly aswell :o ,and they look all black and grey as they get older,not so attractive,from piranah look alikes.

also when the nock themselfs they look ugly as and often stay all chewed up

with chunks missing or scars ect.

so definatly dont get them aye

,not as flash as they seem once you kno about them :wink:

Tim