Feeding discus earthworms

Angus

Watched a mate feed his banded kokopu and bullies on live earthworms on the weekend and it was amazing......

...and so, having previously read that discus will accept live earthworms, but being extremely nervous about doing so, but wanting to watch discus go for 'live' food, i want to know if discus keepers here have feed their discus earthworms.

And if so, what tips you might have eg thorough rinsing etc

Just a note that I microwaved some blood worms as was told that this kill any bugs that may also be present. Fish eat them not a problem but the house didn't smell very nice. I found it hard to get my Discus to eat anything thats moving. Guppies that were put in for live food started breeding, mealworms had a bath and earth worms can't hold them breaths for very long. Give it a go see if they will take them but it migth take a few goes. How hard is it for you to get them to eat a different food. Say Tetra bits to flake.

i have no problems with my discus taking a whole range of foods; colourbits, spirulina flake, tetrabits, bloodworms, discus tucker..... greedy guts really :D

thanks for the info guys - not sure if its enough though to make me want to risk seven healthy discus...... :roll:

Where are the earthworms coming from? If you have a culture then you can be more sure they won't have any diseases in them. I found one in my whiteworm culture and put it in, the discus went nuts, one grabbed it but because it was quite long it still stuck out then another grabbed it, and stretched the worm twice as long (between both of their mouths) as it originally was! i thought it was going to snap in half then it just pinged out of one of their mouths and the other one nailed it. very cool :)

that's what i want to achieve!!!

my mate just picked his earthworms from his garden (the kokopu went nuts - they really are angry little fish :D )

but i'm extremely nervous about sourcing from the garden as you just don't know what little nasty hitchhikers would come with them. could i create a safe earthworm farm perhaps? even then I think i'd be nervous.

i was just wondering really if other people had done it and if it was safe.