How deep should gravel be?

WTM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a minimum depth of gravel that should be used in a fish tank (note I'm not using any UGF but a power filter instead). I've had some problems with Corys recently and I'm wondering if my gravel is too thin??

My turtle tank is bare bottom (due to fear of impaction), but am using gravel in both the frog and fish tanks.

Gravel is used for three choices any or all can be used for the whole three.

One is decoration, it just takes away that sterile look and the fish seem a lot quieter with at least a thin layer of gravel, also used at various depths for landscaping.

Deep enough for plants to root securely, for instance, Indian Fern will float if the roots don't have a deep enough bed.

Another is to act as a filtration bed, it was the fad to have 75mm at the back to 50mm at the front, deitrius would move to the front for easy removal.

For spawning fish over, the egg scatterers drop their eggs between the gravel, cuts down on pollution.

Before Caryl says it, to catch uneaten food and to feed the planarians and to feed the Malaysian cone snails.

Don't have it too deep without the filtration or plants as you will have no water movement and will will create an anaerobic condition and really pollute the tank.

No doubt there are more reasons.

But that's enufh phor now

Alan 104

My African tank only has a bare minimum layer of sand to cover the fact that the base was painted bright blue :roll:

Alan has covered it very well. If you have an ugf then a minimum of 4cm is suggested otherwise the choice is yours depending on your fish and plants.