HI - SURE YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME

Mad Fish

:D Hello There, I've been a keen fish keeper for a few years now and are still learning. I have a little black brush algae which I have now got saimese flying foxes taking care of that, however recently at the LFS I was told I've got the Algae because I'm having my light on for too long. Usually I have it on for 13 hours, the LFS suggest 4-6hours is enough! I've since tried this and it has decreased a little, but I don't see the point in having the tank if I cannot enjoy it! Because I cannot see the fish!!! Well that's all I can think of for now - when the pressures on the mind goes blank! Bye Mad Fish - not their owner??

Bad information there. IMO

It will grow in the dark that stuff I reacon.

Keep up with your Siamese AE and sit back and enjoy watching them mow it down.

Ask ya LFS how do daylight hours get shortened to 4 - 6 hrs. in nature.

mmmmm??

The fish and plants need it, and of course, so do you!!

Alan 104

I have been told this very same information and I instantly thought that it was off. Fish from the tropics don't have only 4-6 hrs a day as stated above. I have come to learn to not take the LFS word for everything but to research it and take what I class as the repeative information. I have gone through many sites which will say a lot of things but now and then you will get some information that is repeated over many sites. But thats just me. If in doubt you can always ask here :D

btw Welcome aboard :D

The best way to prevent problems like this is to introduce another animal to control the algae. This could be an algae-eating fish, some snails, or even more plants that will compete for nutrients and slow the growth of algae. You definitely shouldn't be reducing the light that much just to control the algae. 10 to 12 hours per day is usually fine.

While I agree that reducing the light to four to six hours defeats the point of enjoying aquaria - the LFS is kinda half right. See, they may not have only four or six hours of light in the tropics, but that light is a lot less intense than a fluoro two inches from the surface of the water! Get what I mean?

In the real world, I think the SAEs are the best option!

Mad Fish,

let me introduce you to killie fish.

There are some lovely little bba munchers out there called Flag killis or Jordanella floridae.

Do a search on it so you can recognize it in the LFS or show them a pic of it and see if they can get some in for you.

The male is quite colourful, with the female sporting a large spot on the rear of her dorsal fin.

They behave a little like cichlids at spawning time, but are a reasonably good community fish as well.

Alan 104

I have been told 8 hours... :roll:

Algae could also be caused if you have to much waste, nutrients in your water.

Then again the amount of phosphates in your tap water can be a cause. Does the algae seem to take off after a water change?

Plants help compete for light & nutrients so you can try adding more plants.

I set my timer so the tank light comes on just before I get home from work...on at 3pm, off at 10pm.

Siamese algae eaters are great too.

If your tank is fish only, try a UV sterilizer.

Is your tank well filtered, how often do you feed you fish & how often do you do water changes?

Frenchy :D

:roll: Hi! Have taken on board all your advice, thank you! My fish tank is a community tank and is 4ft, I have approximately 19 fish and do water changes every 3 weeks. It doesn't seem to take off after a water change. I feed them once a day and only a small amount. The water in my area in Melbourne is very hard and chloriated, so I try to let the water sit before adding it and add a water ager. On that subject can someone tell me the difference between a water ager (de-cloriator) and water conditioner crystals? Thanks for all your great advice and I'm sure this will get a few different opionions! :o