Water bridge

Snowman

These were quite the rage in the late '60's.. but the commercial ones were just a single bow (half hoop) perspex tube around 50mm diam.

They usually sat in a "hoodless" single tank, but a few I saw went from tank to tank. Saw some recently (can't rem where).. that had a "bridge" around 300mm diam, and that ran from tank to tank.. looked quite neat.

Shiuh asked:

does that mean u only need one heater?

You still need heaters... as there is no "actual" flow of water in there.

Once the tube is filled and the ends are below the surface, the water remains in there.. just like an upturned bottle of water will remain full.. as long as the opening is in the water... but the water inside can be well above the water level.

BTW:

Fighters getting confused in there would soon run out of surface air (non-existent) and perish. The old ones were a smooth hoop style with no sharp corners to navigate.

Bill.

No reason you couldn't make the water flow, run a pump pumping water from one tank to the other it'll flow back through the tunnel. You run the risk of bubbles building up in the tube which over a long time could suck. But that could be solved by putting a small hole at the highest point with an airhose running to a powerhead's venturi. It'll suck any air out.

You still need heaters... as there is no "actual" flow of water in there.

Once the tube is filled and the ends are below the surface, the water remains in there.. just like an upturned bottle of water will remain full.. as long as the opening is in the water... but the water inside can be well above the water level.

Bill.

Does the water not stagnate up there?

No. I pump water out of my one tank through an external canister filter and into the other tank. Gravity keeps the water level of the two tanks the same and there is constant motion of water through the tunnel. It also keeps the chemistry of the water in both tanks the same. If your filter pumps 2000 liters of water an hour; this is the volume of water that passes through the bridge every hour.

:P

Any bubbles that form can be sucked out using a piece of airline as a syphon.

Poke it thru to the bubble and suck it back out.

I do that with one of my HOB filters when it gets an airlock in it.

Clarrie Stead, deceased, X of the Levin A Soc., use to make tanks with a tunnel.

A common base had two octagonal tanks built either end with the sides facing one another having a cross over tube of about 150 mm square.

Look quite different.

One of his favs, especially for auctions, was one built as a boat.

I don't know how practical they were, but they were eye-catching, and must have taken a lot of time and patience building them.

Mabe his widow Hoya, if she sees this, could give us a little run-down for her first posting, on this.

Alan 104

ps. I don't think there can be many members who remember these now.

mmmmm

Al

It would work MV, but you are going to make it impossible to shift without a removable way of doing it.

Just imagine if one broke.

Half the other would be all over the floor.

"Oh bugger the neighbours under our flat"

In an EQ area also, if there was flexing between the tanks,

woops.

mmmmmmm

I wouldn't; but your choice.

Just have some mops and buckets ready.

You could have the floor pre drilled as well.

Alan 104

thay work well as long as you dont get a restriction at one end.

the lead tank will over flow if the restriction is big enough.

the water flow is the same as your pump is flowing.

i had a leaf block the inlet to the bridge about 5 years ago and ended up with 200lt on the floor,it didnt take long.

it only blocked about half the tube

look COOL

just carnt get any blockage(even fish)

dont know how his worked with crayfish living in it,must of evened out the flow with one in each end.

• 1 month later...

Blockages will be reduced if using larger pipes. 110mm dia like he used would take a large "body" to block up, most leaves would get sucked through such a big hole too I'd imagine. If worried, get an extra hole drill for an emergency over flow in both tanks that was higher than the bottom of the bridge, connect the two overflows together so if something goes wrong the water will take an alternate route between tanks.