new saltwater

buzzy

hi everyone,

im am currently getting things i need to get into reefing,im just about finished the stand, and the tank is getting made hopefuly by the end of next week.the tank will be 100x75x65 with a 100x50x50 sump under it.it will drain into the sump through a 40mm drilled hole(50mm durso),then return into the back of the tank via 32mm pipeing, so i thought id post it up here as i go along, i will post pics of stand etc as soon as i get the camera back.im taking it slowly but this is what i hope to end up with,

2x 250w MH

deltec 701 skimmer

2x eheim 1250 closed loops

1x 1060 retun pump

1x 300w heater

and mabey thinking of adding a seprate refugium?

if anyone can suggest things i might need please tell me. im hopeing to mabey turn it in to an dedicated anemone tank but mot sure.

Off to a good start.

Be looking out for:

* test kits

* refractometer

* electronic heater controler

* good maganet cleaner

* live rock

Otherwise looks good! I would consider a bigger return pump than that, but I like to get the water moving through the sump.

Pie

Thats the same return pump I'm using, works fine, but I would have no issue with going to a bigger pump. If you do I would have a good think about how you put the water back into the tank, mine is just coming out a 15mm bulkhead and is a bit of a jet, a seaswearl would be nice.

hi ill see how the 1060 goes if its not enough then ill get a bigger pump, got the dorso bits today 50mm it looks huge, first question is how far from the top of the tank should it sit, also what is an aquarium safe glue to use to fix it together.do you drill the holes a bit bigger that the hanson fitting eg if it 40mm fitting should i drill the hole 45 - 48mm? thanks

the water level should sit around about half way up the horizontal part of the durso pipe (that runs back to the downpipe). the height of the whole durso is just common sense, not too high that you lose the purpose of the overflow but not too low that the water dropping is too noisy. the top of the horizontal part of my durso is about 2" below the overflow. the size of the hole in the top of the durso is used to finely adjust the water level. smaller hole means lower water level, larger hole means higher water level.

• 2 weeks later...

well i had to get the glass sent to wellington to get drilled as no-one around here has big enough drill bits, but the tank should be together this week, ive put the first 2 coats of paint on the stand so should hopefully have the tank on the stand by next week, ill try to get some pics up if i find a site to host them

the glass has come back nicely drilled and the tank should be built this week, in the mean time ive been thinking about my sump, i was thinking of having a 6' tank behind the main tank as a sump then when we buy or own home i can locate it else where what are everyones thoughts on this?it will have a 40cm area for intake and skimmer then to a baffle area then a 100 cm fuge, another baffle then a return section, im playing with ideas at the moment so ill proberly change my ideas again.

• 7 months later...

well its been awhile, ive got all the plumbing bits, just waiting for the ball valves now,im thinking of getting a 400w MH for the lighting,my sump is built and looks good.i decided to get the sump made to fit under the tank its 90x60x40high,it has a 40x60 section for the fuge on the left then return section in the middle and the drain from the durso is on the right,i still need to get 2 pumps for the closed loops and then can plumb it all in.do you think that 2x 2' fluros will be enough lighting for the fuge?

nah everything still looks the same at the mo,but will post sum more when i can,im thinking of having the closed loops joint in a big square instead of 2 spraybar type outlets,will be using 20mm pipeing.