Pics from Thailand/Cambodia

klaymann

we are missing out on heaps fresh/salt ... makes collecting from your backyard a cool buzz!!.... think cees will kick my butt with this post :o:o

will let you all make up your own mind as to what is food/pets/wildlife :wink:

barb5kz.jpg

discus6kl.jpg

food23qz.jpg

food8lx.jpg

gourami2bs.jpg

gouramis21oz.jpg

horseshoe2kv.jpg

lobster8cr.jpg

needlefish4qq.jpg

shrimp15of.jpg

shrimp26to.jpg

snails25sh.jpg

snails2lb.jpg

unkown8rw.jpg

yup4ut.jpg

yup21oi.jpg

puffer6ty.jpg

schoolingbabys8he.jpg

watch out for the local Cambodian dish,spiders anyone ?" tourist gimmick" :o

mvc029f1wv.jpg

And watch out for the drunken tourist .... kiwi one as it happens ( and no ... not me!! )but my backpacking mate ... hmmm " no officer I never seen him before" !!! 8)

twat3ad.jpg

Klay...how about letting us know what is in these pics...there some strange looking critters that I have never seen before...would be interesting to know what they are...except for the guy in the last pic with the funny looking glasses :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, I need to start planning a trip over there. Those Mantis Shrimp in pics 4, 5 and 'specially 9 are wicked. Love those guys. Any idea if they were clubbers or spearers? So you go on these trips every year? I need to stop spending so much money on fish and more on vacations!

By the way, thanks for the pics, much appreciated. May I take a guess at what they are?

Pic 1 - Tiger Barbs (large) seen from above in wild native river

Pic 2 - Pigeon Blood (a bit yellow tho) in an aquarium

Pic 3 - Crab, horseshoe crabs, mantis shrimp and some well-camouflaged lobster in a market tank.

Pic 4 - Mantis Shrimp and..... pass on the tiger balls... market tank

Pic 5 - Paradise fish? in wild

Pic 6 - Oscars or Severums... murky water means in the wild

Pic 7 - Crab and horseshoe crab in market tank (from above)

Pic 8 - Nicely marked lobster/cray in market tank

Pic 9 - Half-beaks in the wild

Pic 10 - Ahh, my favourite Mantis Shrimp

Pic 11 - Asian freshwater shrimp/crays in market tank

Pic 12 - Conch in market tank

Pic 13 - Crab and snails in market tank

Pic 14 - No clue... in wild tho!

Pic 14 & 15 - Cichlids in aquariums

Pic 16 - Spiney Puffer from rock pool

Pic 17 - Fry in wild - Pass on what kind, but they're freshwater

Pic 18 - Yummm.....

Pic 19 - That strange breed found in ranforests once a year... the drunkkiwiloon ;)

great pic's.

poor porky puffer,most of the fish in pic's you can have,not to sure about festae thou. i think redwoods still have the headstander's in top pic,$38.oo

each thou. and they get half-becks in regularly. and the crusto's look yummy :D heaps of crazy kiwi's down here.

Sneaky little buggers, aren't they? A friend lost a blenny to mysterious circumstances and I found a small (finger sized) green one hiding in his live rock. Best way to get them out of a tank is to remove the rocks one by one and run fresh water through the nooks and crannies until it pops out. Doesn't work every time, but it's a good way to get it out if you know where it's living.

good picking of creatures , sum additions on sum pics

pic1 tiger barb .. was a large school cruising thru but by the time camera out and ready.... :(

pic 4 a type of snail that you have to handle with tongs(toxic) until cooked

pic 5 A gourami ...about 12" long (sp unknown) had these a few years ago at work but can't remember name

pic 6 more gourami's about 18" long ,sp "giant" ( same waters had large barbs splashing about but no good pics)

pic 8 painted lobster

pic 9 needle fish 8-9 " long (Xenentodon Cancila) .have bred these a few years ago.

pic 14 same here .. no clue ..observed for a long time and looked like cross between catfish/gourami/poly...

pic 17 they looked like sword fry .. were fishballing due to several small needle fish herding them..( pic taken next to the 'killing fields" just out of phnom penh , cambodia).

most of the mantis shrimp were spearers and about 8 - 10 " .. bluddy massive !!

you should see my frog/turtle/bug/lizard pics from asia .... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Once in Hong Kong my colleagues and I were at dinner at a restaurant that had a large horseshoe crab in the tank. Myself and another friend tried to buy it but the manager wouldn't sell it. The offered price kept creeping up and we eventually offered about $300 NZ! He still said no. Later when I talked to my friend about it he wanted to release it into the harbour!?! I wanted to eat it!

I thought this great old pre-historic crab would be interesting to taste.

Cheers,

Damo.

geez tell me about it , saw the horseshoe crabs all over thailand forsale in the fish markets ... when you look at one upside down ya think " wheres the meat" .. but sure enough on Koh Chang island we saw the locals throw them on a BBQ and they cook them upside down , poor bugga's ... not a pleasant site to see .. just as bad as the "fighting roosters" about 20 feet away ... but "was Thailand" ..... 8)

• 2 weeks later...
pic 17 they looked like sword fry

Am I counting wrong...but isn't 17 the one with the person holding something...what is that something????

Pics 5 & 9...these are in the wild...fish that are bought in stores...cool, seeing them in the wild :P