2 Gallon Pico Reef

Tom Gunner

You dont even have to take note of were the wires go as theres only two connections line in, load out easy.

The ballasts will cost around $10-15 each maybe cheaper at an electrical wholesalers store like Rexel or Corey's but thats trade, just go in knowing what you want and they might give you trade, as soon as you show signs of not knowing what you want they'l sting you, chat to the guy about something interesting thats always good :wink: .

Robert

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys - I'll get the ballests changed soon.

I thought I'd add a couple of 'before' shots so I can track the progress of growth and how the tank matures.

49115210.16_3quart_empty.jpg

49114812.17_front_empty.jpg

The next job for me is sealing up the back between the glass and the water. I'm loosing a litre and a half per week, which is too much.

• 1 month later...

Hey Tom,

First off, that's an awesome setup. Yoru DIY skills are mad.

Now, I moved to NZ from the States just over a year ago and had to bring my electronic toys (all 110-120V) with me, of course. So, I have been living with a number of stepdown transformers since then and I have had nothing but trouble with the one that you have there. The first problem is that it is not vented at all so the heat has to diffuse through the plastic to dissipate. You would think that the $60 youspend for it would mean that it would be up to the wattage rating, however, it is not, especially on a constant use basis. They are much more suited to things like rechargable toothbrushes and such.

I know you are on a budget, but it would be worth going up to the 50W and keepingthe heat down. It will also burn out in time, in my experience, because there is no way to get to the fuse and replace it. Anyway, Dick Smiths may take it back if you tell them it is inadequate and you want to upgrade to the 50W.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some updated shots, I will take some more this week as I have a few more additions.

51245698.21_cabinet.jpg

51245671.20_fullshot_02.jpg

The Mushrooms are looking great and the leather is already branching out - It'll have to be fragged down soon.

51245704.22_mush_leath.jpg

The Yellow Polps are spreading out nicely, They are starting to interweave with the rock which is looking very natural.

51245715.23_yell_polps.jpg

I've left these small guys to attach themselves to some small rocks so I can attach them in place in a few weeks.

51245764.24_small_mush.jpg

I'm probably going to leave out any fish for the time being - but I'd like a couple of shrimps in there.

As for corals - I'd like some different coloured zoo colonies, a small torch coral, starburst polps, featherduster, Ricordea Mushroom - so if anybody has any of those for sale - give me a shout.

One fish that would be small enough, and also would be happy, in a tank your size, would be a yellow acropora goby, here's a pic of one of mine

yellowgobie.gif

They are bright yellow, and spend most of the time perched on a rock where they can survey the view from, but they keep moving they have a great personality.

Cleaner shrimp may find your tank a little small, but some rock pool shrimp (glass shrimp) should be fine.

That Goby is awesome, where did you get him from and how much are they?

I was also thinking about one of these:

https://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_product.php?product=EVOKT0J6204

HelifaxNZ - I've been reading your thread - great job on the tank, I love the tank shape, you should be able to do some great scaping. Cracker's cube reef is one of my favorite tanks.