Food & water change in summer

Caper

I have 2 big cans of food that my son bought me. I thought I read somewhere that you can put the food in small freezer bags and freeze it...is this true? I'm talking about flakes...I'm about ready to open the one for my tropicals, and I'm pretty sure it would go stale before I get to use it all :(

Also, we've been having some really hot weather. Last night I actually did a water change in my 10 gallon (goldfish & ottos) because...someone, ah...probably the cat :-? since I live alone...forgot to refill the ice cube trays...and the temp was getting over 80. Question is, in an established tank...is there such a thing as too much when it comes to water changes?

I have 2 big cans of food that my son bought me. I thought I read somewhere that you can put the food in small freezer bags and freeze it...is this true? I'm talking about flakes...I'm about ready to open the one for my tropicals, and I'm pretty sure it would go stale before I get to use it all

Anybody?????

how do you keep the moisture out of the bag.when i froze mine it came out and the moisture had stuck it all together.it was a lot of hard lumps.

would a zip top bag work better?(in the freezer now)tryed to get all air out,see how we go this time.

there is a vaccume pump you can buy to seal plastic bags,vaccume sealed and frozen would be perfect

Yes...I was wondering what would happen...freezer/moisture!

I had to open the can for my tropicals this morning.

Poor fishies...had crumbs yesterday :oops:

But I know that it will get bad before I could use it all.

I usually just buy the small cans

...hold on, have to go get can

...wait now, trying to find on label

... :evil: why is print soooo small, .42 oz. (12 g).

I find these can even get stale before they're used up...can even tell when you pick them up the difference in the texture.

So, Monaro, wouldn't just the moisture itself, ruin the flakes???

Yah, I know...they go in water...but they don't usually last long :lol:

You need to be careful doing water changes to lower the tempature, the fast change can kill them. Are you normally putting the ice cube directly into the tank? There could be risks doing this as well, I would suggest that if you need to use ice that you freeze it in a bottle and float the bottle in the tank.

Have you tried getting a small desk fan and directing this so it blows over the top of the tank/water? Also remove the glass off the top, you can easierly drop the temp by a few degrees doing this. It works by increasing the evaperation from the tank, which removes energy (i.e. heat) from the water, same as a fan makes your skin feel cooler. Even through the air it is blowing is the same temp, the air movement makes the sweat evaperate off your skin cooling you down. It is very common practice for marine fish keepers to do this as we have huge problems keeping tanks cool due to the strong lighting we use (I have over 500w of lights on my 3foot marine tank).

You need to be careful doing water changes to lower the tempature, the fast change can kill them

Suphew...usually the water change is with water that has been sitting for a couple of days or so in a container (not directly out of my cold water tap) just sitting in my living room. So, that should be ok shouldn't it? Although, tonight when I was doing the water change before treating my tank I did run out of water...so I just added enough hot water to take the chill off the water directly from tap.

When I use ice cubes I usally put them in a baggie and hold it in the tank by putting the end of the bag under the lid (so that the cubes once melted don't go into my tank). Yes, I do use fans as well when needed. The biggest problem is with the 10 gallon that my goldfish are in...that tank has the incadescent lights in it so doesn't take long to heat up...so don't keep them on long when it is really hot. Times I have had the lid up with the fan on the water.

Just a note on the lid up with the goldfish...I'm always scared they'll jump out...but okay so far!