Major Disaster!

Caryl

Had a distressed call late tonight from a fellow club member. Ken had just gone down to the shed to feed the fish in the 6ft tank and discovered it had sprung a leak. Not a lot of water left in it at all. Did I have a big enough tank to put the big fish in?

Grabbing some 30 litre barrels they headed back home to save the bit of water left and to catch the fish. The smaller ones they were able to put in a 3ft tank but what to do with 8 large T barbs? Four of them are around 120cm (5").

I had just arranged the rocks in my 4ft ready for the Africans I plan to stock it with. This afternoon I had brought the garden hose in and filled the tank. That water was now sitting at 23C, 73.5F, so I emptied half of it out again (hoses everywhere) and refilled it with half the old water from my already set up tropical 4ft.

Luckily I had an AquaClear 500 and an Eheim wet/dry filter which had been seeding on the old tank for a week in preparation for the Africans so these were brought up to the new tank and hooked up.

I didn't have a spare thermostat for the under tank heat pad but it is so warm at the moment it won't matter.

So far the fish seem to be settling but I will have to keep a close eye on them.

Hopefully it is a problem with the silicone and not a crack in the glass somewhere as I need my tank back by next weekend! Looking on the bright side, the tank will be well and truly cycled by then :lol:

What africans have you got lined up? and your friend is lucky that you where partial setup and ready. :D I try to always have a spare empty 90cm*45cm*45cm tank or a 120cm*45cm*45cm but have sold it to a friend, will have to get another, maybe a quick shop through the buy sell exchange :D I find having a spare is handy especially having big fish, as if they get sick you can pull the fish out and give it a medicated bath and treat the problem directly, insteed of dosing your main aquarium (proves to be alot cheaper to do it like this some medications are not cheap) and maybe have to mature filters and do extra water changes on the main aquarium (depending on setup). Kinda got of the beaten track here But does anyone else do this? :D

I haven't any lined up yet, that is why we are coming to ChCh. I want yellow labs, Marliers and something blue - maybe peacocks or zebras (but will zebras cross with labs?).

Having spare filters on the main tank is a good idea and we all mean to do it but it's usually one of those things that need a "round tuit" :lol:

This is not the first time this particular tank has leaked. They would rather reseal the whole thing this time than have another piece go. They also haven't actually determined the leak is the silicone either. May be a crack on the bottom sheet of glass.

Most definitely it is level. It is not so far out of whack that it emptied out most of the water either! :D

All the fish are still alive in the spare tank here and they have got hold of another replacement to transfer them to (since I need mine back by next weekend) until they can get the big tank fixed.