Any Betta ideas

HandS

I have been trying to breed this pair of fighters for a while now. It took him a little over a week to build a nest, and now ive let her out, hes ripping her to shreads. Shes been out 2 days now, and the bubbles have gone again. should i leave her in a bit longer (was thinking till sunday) to see what happens. or take her out to give her a rest. Any ideas would be great.

Picture019.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Well i've never breed betta's , but that does not mean I don't know anything :wink:

first of all it would be handy to know all that you did, like tank size , hiding place for female , temp that sort of thing.

a close up pic of the females vent would be good too = was she really in correct condition to breed a pic will show this even thou she's bet up.

but this can happen with betta's, even if the female full and ripe.

I don't think putting her back with the male is a good idea just yet- unless your prepeared to loss her. :o

She has very long ventral fins(sp) you sure she's a she and not a plakut male(sp, short finned), I've now been breeding and raising mine for months I have only been leaving them together for 1 day max(otherwise female gets shreeded fins) I feed her/them up for 16 days and go again(seperate in same tank). have about 30-40 fry now from 3 to 12 weeks old. I also use a piece of poly for the male to build his nest under and have very little surface water movement. My best breed was my last, I almost turned the bubble filter off and let the water go green. Free food for fry (the green water) gave me less losses. Hope some of this helps

Colin

The tank is 45cm X 23cm with just over 10cm of soft water @ 27 degrese C. There is nothing in the tank except for a heater, a 11cm X 11cm Jar, a peace of java fern, a small clump of java moss and some ricca (which is what he was making his nests in in the com tank). The water was also taken out of the com tank with small daily/every other day water changes. As for the condition of the female she was very fat with her ovipositer showing. She was also showing her vertical bars.

Can any one see what im doing wrong, or are the fish being stubborn :o

The tank is 45cm X 23cm with just over 10cm of soft water @ 27 degrese C.

Could also be frustration...

At only 10cm deep it doesn't give the fish very long to preform what many call the "death roll" where the male wraps his body around the female to expel her eggs.

No sooner would they have got together than he would have to release her.. so hence the frustration IMO.

10cm depth is a fine depth once the eggs are laid, or are on the point of hatching.. but not for the spawning set up.

Bill.

just another suggestion HandS. i think it was you who said they were doing ok in the community tank?? leave them in there. my 1st ever success with breeding siamese was a fluke. had a male and a female in my 2ooL community tank and one day was looking round and saw a bubble nest. closser inspection revealed fry in the nest too!! i wanted to save it so i VERY carefully transfered nest, plant and enough tank water to keep the plant about 8 - 10 cm above the bottom of the baby tank. i didn't transfer the male though. it worked to some extent as i am now the proud parent to one very cute little 2 month old white plakat baby. my community tank was big enough that there were thousands of hiding places for the female and when she was ready to breed she would let the male know. a nice quiet corner with lots of floating plants will keep the male happy.

i think you've got 2 males.....I had a 'female' like yours....that practically ate all the males I ever put 'her' with......until the penny dropped that she was actually a he....i put her with another female and he was one happy fish! It is deceiving when you cant see those long flowing fins but it is just the type of fighter he is. I have another 2 females now and I'm not sure but I think one of them might turn out to be a male also, her/his colour is much deeper and the ventral fins are long like in your fish....i am feeding them up on brineshrimp now which also helps bring the colour out and condition them a bit which might make it easier to see which is which.

good luck

:oops: well people, i am very embrassed to say that colin was right :oops: , my female was a boy. On the bright side, at our local club auction someone was selling a male whitch i thought looked alot like a female , after thinking i couldent be THAT wrong twice, i brought it home, and they spawned first attempt, so now we have hundreds of lil betta fry :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to all who replyed :hail:

• 3 weeks later...