How many more fish?

flash_liam

Hello everyone :)

I've got a 3ft tropical tank with 30 neons (I think there are 30... they are quite hard to count now :) and 4 Glow Lights.

The glow lights seem to be schooling quite happily with the neons, I was initially thinking of getting more of them because I was concerned they may need to be in a bigger school, but they seem happy enough as is.

According to the 'Aquarium Density Calculator' I should be able to have up to 36" of fish (for 36 Gallons of water), but I know this formula isn't always accurate and it depends on species etc.

I'd really like to get 5 Khuli Loaches (they are cool!!!) and possibly two 'feature' fish (I had been thinking 'Electric Yellows', but I'm not sure if they are ok with neons, and not 100% convinced the advice I get from the LFS will be accurate). I had initially been thinking of getting 5 Tiger Barbs as well, but have read that they can torment neons.

So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me wether I am getting close to the limit for my tank, or wether I can get the extra fish I have mentioned, and wether Electric Yellows would be appropriate (or maybe suggest an alternative? :)

Thanks for all your help, this forum has been a life saver on many occasion :) I'll post photos of my tank soon (have just planted it with real plants so am waiting for them to size up a bit).

:D

Liam.

Another thing that changes the 'inches per fish' formula is how much filtration you have and how regularly you do maintenance. With good filtration and a regular weekly, or fortnightly, water change you can have quite a few more fish (always adding numbers slowly of course).

The electric yellows would love your neons and probably the glowlights as well! They are an African cichlid and their needs are totally different to those of your other fish. If you want them, set up another tank.

The tiger barbs may be OK if you get 6 or more as they wil be busy keeping themselves in line so hassle other fish less.

Kuhli loaches are cool but remember they are nocturnal and you may not see them too often.

As for an alternative feature fish, have you thought about gouramis? Or perhaps a trio of congo tetras?

Hi Caryl,

Just back from LFS (I can't help myself!! It's an addiction :) ) Decided to get the Khulis, and I got some plastic tubing for them to play in :)

I've got an external Tetra Whisper 40 and two airstones. I change 20% of the water every 2 weeks. I've been monitoring ammonia and nitrites so will increase the water changes if need be.

Yeah, I had a better look at the Electric Yellows today and read about their pH conditions and temprament (and appetite for smaller fish :S )

I really liked the Pearl Gourami's though, and was told they are quite docile for a big fish. I think I'll get two of those.... and then start planning my next tank ;) Congo Tetra's sound interesting too, I'll have to look for photos of them on the internet.

Thanks for your help :)

Liam.

HI Liam,

Just to give you an idea you might like this comparison...

the spec's of my tank are here.. Diver John or here

I think it is fairly well stocked, but for a tank of 250ish litres it has got a very big external filter (need to double check the size - i think its actually a 2228) which is good for a tank up to 600l !

I do about 30% water change evry week.

SO like caryl said...

With good filtration and a regular weekly..., water change you can have quite a few more fish

HTH

John

I dont think they try to escape, they just jump and if they happen to be below a hole they go through it. If you only have one or two holes for tubing I don't think its all that likely.

My gouramis keep hitting their heads on the glass lid ............ LOL

Jude

Truly amazing escape artists. I had a "dojo" in my tank that just disappeared one day. Never did find it until years later when we were moving and found the mummified carcass all the way on the other side of the room from where the tank once stood. What I still don't understand is why the cats never touched it...

ok, so the Khuli's aren't interested in the plastic tubes at all... however the tetras are good at getting stuck in them :lol: they swim almost to the end, give up and turn around to try the other end. It usually takes a few minutes for them to escape. That'll be why you don't see fish playing mastermind :wink:

I might have to give up on the tubes.