New owner, new tank, new fish, eek!

Tony.Bates

Hi All,

I've spent a couple of hours browsing through this site, great information, and helpful people.

I have sitting in the corner one brand new AR980. Its empty! I'm just starting out in the hobby, so am after a little advice.

Heating: As I understand, in a tank this size (99x47x60cm, 215 litres) I will need 2 heaters in the 200-300 watt range. (one for redundancy)

Filtration: I guess this depends on the fish in the tank, I'm still working towards picking my "stable" but I'm leaning towards a few schoolers, a few bottom-feeders and maybe 1 or 2 feature fish? (I'm open to suggestion here) I'm going with a freshwater setup by the way. The AR came with the standard wet/dry bio filter, do I need anything else in the way of filtration?

Plants: I'm divided on this one. I've seen a beautiful setup in a similar tank with all artificial plants, but if I read correctly, live plants are essential to a healthy tropical setup. Can anyone comment, or have any thoughts?

Rocks, Gravel etc: What to put in the bottom of the tank? The AR has a built in filter, (not undergravel) so am I restricted on what to put in the bottom of the tank? I think I would like some dark gravel, and some feature rock.

Misc: Testing kits, fish net, buckets, magnetic tank cleaner.

So, besides the Fish, what am I missing?

Any help and advice appreciated! Meantime, I'll keep reading through this great forum! Cheers!

So, besides the Fish, what am I missing?

Just the other half-dozen tanks you'll soon have.

But seriously, I'd definitely go with live plants, nothing looks better and yes they help keep your tank stable.

As far as substrate goes, I like the black sand in my tanks, looks way cool and gives a great contrast against the plants.

215L isnt bad for a first tank, you can get a few fish in there. Pick easy ones to start with and don't add them all at once, you need to allow your tank time to cycle once it's up and running (you'll find plenty of info on this on the forums)

LS

Hi and welcome to the site.

Heating: yeh two heaters between 200-300W would b best.

Plants: Yeh live plants look good and are healthier for fish.

Rocks, Gravel etc: You could put most substrates in the bottom of the tank like sand, gravel, and rocks

A couple of fish that you could have as showy fish are angels or gouramis.

A nice big piece of drift wood looks fantastic as a centre piece for your tank. You can grow some java fern and moss on it and your fish will love you!

I like real plants personally as they are safer on the fishs fins and it makes the tank more of a ecosystem.

There are so many beautiful fish to choose from it is hard to say which one would suit you but Im quite partial to 3 spot gouramis. They do grow quite large though, around 6 inches.

shannon.

Hi Tony

Welcome to the forums

Heaters: Yep go with two 300w Not much price difference from 200w

Substrate: Since you don't have an Under gravel filter your are NOT limited to what you use.

Plants: Use artificial plants if you plan on getting lots of fish that like to eat plants, as this will make your tank look as if it was planted... not a barren dessert :lol:

Otherwise go for live plants... don't have to worry about wiping the leaves clean from algae.

Fish... really depends on what you want, but definitely go for some Bristlenose cats to keep the algae down. But as Pearlyred said add fish a couple at a time so that you don't throw the bacterial balance of the tank out of kilter.

Also as others have said you are missing the other tanks.... once this disease of MTS hits you, there is no cure :wink:

Happy fish keeping and if you got any more questions post them up here in the forums and somebody will definietly help you.

Wok

Hi Tony and welcome

If you want something nice to look at then live plants and fish that like heaviy planted tanks are the way to go - in my opinion anyway. Although a well arranged cichlid tank with rocks and no plants also looks cool.

Cheers

Jude

Hi Tony...and welcome!

The people here and this site are just fantastic...great place!

I am a newbie.

Important:

-once you get your tank all set up, leave it run before adding any fish

-then you can add a couple of fishies to help in the cycling process, you'll find lots here on the cycling process (fish waste-ammonia-nitrites-nitrates)

-DO NOT ADD too many fish too soon...doing so...causes problems that can be avoided by not doing this

-test kits: pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates (at least these 3)

And...last but not least...don't hestitate to ask questions, especially of the folks here...they are always willing to help and are extremely funny, and kind!

Take care and happy fishing...fish and tanks that is.

Oh...and one more thing...MTS is an incurable disease :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :o :-?

Haha, well I guess I already suffer from MTS, I have a small (17 litre) tank on my desk here at work with some very happy friendly goldfish who keep me company during the day.

I suppose my upgrade for home has securely stamped me with the MTS label!

Thanks for all the advice!

I dont think I will have a problem with getting too many fish too soon, I'm still trying to decide what I want to put in it, so It will have some time to cycle while I make up my mind! :)

Hi Tony,

When i was setting my tank up earlier this year i started by testing my tap water. You can add stuff and chemicals to change the water but why choose the hard road when your'e just starting out. If you get fish to match your water the whole thing will be much easier. Once I found out my tap water was very very soft I decided to go with fish from the Amazon area. If on the other hand my tap water was hard I would have set up an Afrcan Lakes tank.

A nice big piece of drift wood looks fantastic as a centre piece for your tank. You can grow some java fern and moss on it and your fish will love you!

Would the fern and moss remain on the driftwood only, or would it spread? Does it have to be cut? How would you get it growing on the driftwood?

cichlid tank with rocks and no plants also looks cool.

No plants in with cichlids...would this just be personal choice?