aquarium corals

chimera

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would call it a good basic reference to most corals found in the trade. It's not complete, but does look a diseases a little, as well as some stuff on coral anatomy, water chemistry etc.

If you're looking more for in depth stony coral info, it may be a little disappointing. It doesn't really go into species level stuff, it tends to stick at the genus level.

A good beginner / intermediate book though.

Layton

find me a book that does. all reviews i've heard give it 5/5.

i have not had a response from marinedepot yet, so i've tried amazon. cost is in $US:

Cost each: $34.62 (Marine Depot is $38.95ea)

Items: $103.86

Shipping & Handling: $21.96

Total Before Tax: $125.82

So that's US$41.94 each or NZ$56.07+gst ($62.07)

I had a look on eAquanature and Reefdepot, neither show it as available however they still maybe able to get it. Will wait for MarineDepot pricing.

If you're interested in stony corals, then "Corals of the World" apparently covers every species of acropora, and other stony corals. It ignores soft corals altogether though.

It's a 3 volume set, with a hefty price tag of US$160 at amazon. It's meant to be very comprehensive.

Layton

it also appears I am blind, on 2nd look reefdepot does have the book at SG$85ea. thats SG$255.00 plus shipping (unknown shipping cost, vb script crashes when i go to checkout) however the cost in NZ is $68 each, more than Amazon before shipping. Funny that being a US book... :D

Will try some other sources however i feel amazon will be the cheapest.

Looks good to me chim, the copy I have borrowed is a softcover, the one at M/D hardcover, maybe that explains the price differences? Either way I'm still keen, I'll trust your judgement, just let me know how much once you have put the order in.

I've got the hardcover version. It's quite a thick book, so i'd say it would be worth getting the hardcover over the softcover, it will last much longer

agreed, the price difference on amazon is only about US$4. soft covers are a pain to keep in good condition!

You can also buy the books at Hollywood fish farm. cost a bit more but you can get it today.

"a bit"??? just rang hollywood, $102 for a soft cover version. if you can wait 2 weeks its a big saving. gotta love online ordering, consumer wins...

The freight from marine depot is a rip off as they only ship fedex

true, exactly what they said. not worth while for small orders then.

Through Amazon? $62.07 each and that includes shipping and includes GST AND thats for the HARD COVER version. Not wanting to turn people off LFS, but HFF is $102 for soft cover. Save $40 and get it in hard back. Its not rocket science. I have heaps of friends who order through Amazon all the time for all sorts of books.