New tank, very cloudy

Melanie

I had 42 baby guppies in my tank that were clouding the water. I set up a new tank and was only able to cycle it for a day before tossing the guppies in.

I haven't had any deaths, but they're looking stressed, some with their fins clamped, and the water's looking cloudy.

What am I doing wrong?

I can't move them back to my other tank. It is only a 10 gallon and I was afraid they were going to kill everyone. I moved the largest of the babies back, because he's a pretty leapord male, and he's looking quite a bit better after 2 hours back at "home." (I'd actually moved him out because I was wanting to give him to a new home, but if the fish don't de-stress I don't feel I can give them to friends.)

What's wrong with my tank?

How long does cycling take with a bunch of fishes in the tank?

What am I doing wrong?

so what else was in the 10 gallon tank? personaly I would think that moving so many into any tank at once is really not good. It might be an idea to just have 5 or so in the tank for a week, then move another 5 and so on. I can tell you that new tanks seem to go "cloudy" for a little while and then clear up over time. it took my 3 footer nearly a month before it looked "clear" I kept thinking it was my insificiant lighting. :wink:

My 10 gallon tank has 6 guppies, two corys, six neons, and 2 white cloud mountain minnows.

Plus the 42 babies of varying sizes.

I really don't want to move the babies back, especially looking at the clamped fins. There's a fear that it will spread, though I did already move one fish back. He hasn't completely unclamped yet but seems better. :( I don't know what to do.

Hi Melanie! Sorry to hear about your fish. It sounds like you are over-run with guppies. How big is the new tank that you have set up for your babies? The clamped fins are probably the result of the new tank cycling -could you let us know what the readings for the tank are, if you have managed to pick up the test kits?

Best of luck

MCT

I really need to get those test kits. :(

Tomorrow, I promise.

I guess I thought that since my problems in the first tank soted themselves that I'd never need another tank.

It's another 10 gallon. I was planning on getting rid of quite a few fish this weekend, and maybe even a trade with someone from here but now I know I can't do that because I'm not sure what's wrong.

I'm also worrying that it was an unwise decision to move that really pretty male back into my first tank. I'll cry my eyes out if everyone gets sick. Though if it's just from the tank cycling, won't the fish sort themselves out in a few days?

If you are after test kits Pet Planet has a master test kit on Trade Me with a buy now of $49.95, this kit consists of 5 test kits which cover normal & high range Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate, very good value as i paid just over $60 for an identical kit. $5 post & packaging & you don't even have to leave home LOL

If you are worried about water conditions doing 10% water changes daily should drastically reduce any chemical build ups.

It's looking less cloudy, but what's worrysome is that the little guy I moved back hasn't completely unclamped his fins yet. How long would it take to recover from 24 hours of bad water?

Well, I'll have to leave home ot do the bank deposit, but I could use a little trip into the city. :)

I bid on the kit.

Too many fish too quickly. A tank can't cycle in one day. How did you set the 2nd tank up? If you used half the media from the 1st tank's filter and put it into the 2nd tank's filter it would be a big help. Do lots of water changes over the next few days. The poor guy has had a bit of a shock but will hopefully recover over a few days.

Ok so I should stop worrying about "Guppy AIDS" and start worrying about the water.

My partner didn't tell me about using "old" water and filter stuff until it was too late and I'd already put the fish in. He had a look at them and doesn't think disease either.

The way I set up the tank was: I put the water, filter, heater, and a wee snail into it, left it for 24 hours, and then put some fish in because I felt I was reaching my critical point in the other tank in terms of the babies clouding the water and everyone looking really unhappy.

Hi Mel, when you set up the new tank, did you use water from the old tank? Take over any of the gravel? Seed the new filter with media from the old filter? If not, you should have done all of these things, as the tank needs to set up bacteria from scratch and go through all the stages of cycling. This could have been avoided by taking over as much media from the old tank as possible, but sometimes tanks go through cycles no matter what. The fin clamping is most likely ammonia, this wouls also cause breathing problems and even ammonia burn which can deterorate gills badly enough to kill fish. I'd set up another little tank with water from the old tank and an airstone and move the fish over to that tenk, then re-set up the new tank.

If you need a tank or anything to get you through this, let us know. We have a 10 gallon hospital tank that SHOULD be cycled (filter at least) and you could have a temp home for your fish and see if the change of tanks solves the problems. Just a note - the ammonia burn could be permanent and your guppers could die no matter what you do.

Doing daily water changes will keep the water within acceptable parameters.

I moved house in Jan this year, emptied 3 x 3ft & 1 4ft tanks at 9am and put fish in large poly bins, the 4ft had around 20 swords and 200 guppies, by 11pm the same day the tanks were setup and had the correct temp water added (no old water went in) and the fish got netted in, the tanks had no cycling and the filters had spent the best part of a full day with no water in them.

Basically the tanks were completely uncycled but with 20% bi daily water changes for 2 weeks the move went without 1 loss. Water changes was the key to successful full tank cycling.

Well, I've now taken Blue and Kim's advice and seeded the filter, put some gravel from the old tank into the new, and done a 50 percent water change with waterfrom the old tank, so we'll see if that helps them. I guess it's just wait and watch for a while now, but everyone is looking significantly less stressed than this morning.

I've also noticed that everyone's a hell of a lot more active when the filter is off than when it's on, but I reckon I need to keep it on.

Good, that should take out any bad stuff (ammonia, etc) down to a reasonable level. Keep doing daily water changes of 10 or 20% with water from the old tank and fresh aged water (alternate so your old tank doesn't get affected from all the water being replaced). I know it's a lot of work, but it will be worth it. Good luck and I hope we finally do a trade sometime! I want some red snakeskins :wink:

Fresh aged?

How do I age it?

I'd consider a red snakeskin for a blue (especially female) anytime you're ready, but it's probably a good idea til we wait to make sure this was just the water. I'd hate to be responsible for anyone else's tank getting messed up.

Oh, they'd be sitting in the hospital/quarantine tank for a few days, trust me :)

You "age" tap water (fresh) by using aqua plus, or Stress Coat or any number of de-cholrinators. You can even use the el cheapo "Water Ager" as it does the job. So basically tap water with a dechlorinator.

I think my youngest male may turn out to be as gorgeous as the big metallic blue. If not, we'll have to hit up boxersrus again!

I wish I'd have grabbed some blues while I was there. I would really like some blue ones, but I was catching them really fast to make the bus and ended up with all red and yellow.

And yes, I've been treating my water. Just wasn't familiar with the term "aging."

Actually, she had the blues in a totally different tank from the ones for sale and grabbed one with a small-ish tail for me from her personal "stash". I was too tired that day to even concentrate on the fish. She grabbed most of them for me and I really wish I'd gotten more reds.... next time! (or perhaps I'll have some bubbas with those colours). Thinking of buying some from lollipop9 on TM...

I've also noticed that everyone's a hell of a lot more active when the filter is off than when it's on, but I reckon I need to keep it on.

Filters should be kept on Melanie, they can be kept off for short periods (e.g. when cleaning tank).

But keeping them off for indefinte periods is a no-no, the good bacteria would eventually die and the "good" bacteria is needed.

When I set up my second tank, I put in too many fish too soon. Plus, I was changing TOO much water (ok, so I can't calculate :-? ), which was not good since I wasn't giving the tank enough time to get the bacteria going.

So, as was recommended by the great folks here, I did smaller water changes daily while keeping an eye on the parameters. Now, that tank is finally cycled and parameters are good.

Take care and good luck :P

Well, the bad news is I lost some fish. I think I lost more than the number of bodies I've scoped out and that the snail got to them, in fact.

The good news is all involved are looking ga whole lot better. The male I placed back in the "big fish" tank seems to have fully recovered, and the little fish look like they, too, are beginning to unfurl their fins. I still feel really terrible and guilty about doing it though. :(