Photo of your discus

Discusguru

I was just curious as to what water they naturally came from, I'm trying to aim for something that would replicate the environment that the discus naturally came from, for my own personal challenge. including fish that would naturally occur with them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Vickie good on you. Discus predominantly come from whitewater areas, however some are found in clear and blackwater areas. Peat, tannins from wood, and leaves falling in to the water make it dark, soft, and acid. We are lucky in NZ in that our water is so soft. A lot of people in America use RO units to soften the water which is quite a hassle. I keep a stocking or two of peat in my storage barrels that I use for large water changes and it gives it a nice natural tinge to the water and lasts about a month. The fish appreciate it too as it helps relax them :D

• 2 months later...

Hey Luke,

The leopard look good. How big is it now?

As you probably know that there are a variety of pattern on leopard (spots, stripes and combo of the two)

Buying baby leopards, there is always the risk unless you want to pay mega bucks for a fully form spoted one.

The lines on the leopard may still break away as it's still young and if you don't like it i'll gladly have it back and pay you what you want for it within reasons.

The second fish is a bit too dusty for my liking.

Give me a ring when you're up this way next.

Cheers,

Ron

Thanks Ronnie, I didn't realise the lines could break up as they get older that's good... there's hope for the one above yet :)

Those leopards sound good, however the two I got from you earlier on are still doing well and the smaller one is amazing, covered in tiny red spots (see pic below). Pity it is a long way down the food chain so not growing very fast. The tank is too stocked for any more right now.

Rlilleopard.jpg

Ahhh Ben! What's up man?!? Long time no see good to see you. I sent you a couple of PMs ages ago with some updates but you didn't reply? Yep I'll get some more pics for you soon. Why are you out of the scene at the mo? The alpha male has paired up and he's the size of a saucer lol