Betta Vs Guppies

clarkeymaster

In my Jebo 338 i have a mixture of female and male guppies plus a few b/n catfish, corys and kuhli plus a male siamese fighter.today when i came home from school i found that one of my guppies has a huge chunk missing from his tale and his tale looks a bit like a( < )now. would the fighter of caused this.

I am afraid to say the chances are possible that yes the fighter done that. From what I have been told, male fighters find the bright colours of male guppies a threat (as in another male fighter) and as they would with another male fighter it would of attacked it.

They are awesome fish but apparently not one that goes well with guppies.

:D

I have guppies in with my male betta and don't THINK he's nibbled any of them YET. I have had problems with mollys, danios, and even a skunk loach nibbling them though. Also my guppies are all juvinials, just over half full grown so don't think he sees them as a threat yet. I would say, however, from what you have in your tank that's probably your only suspect.

Sorry about your fishie Clarkeymaster :( Is the betta new to your tank?

Gee...I thought betta's could be in a community tank...just not in with other fighters of the same sex???

I have had problems with mollys, danios, and even a skunk loach nibbling them though

I have 2 mollies...the other day I found one of my guppies on the bottom dead, tail fin gone! I've never seen the mollies go near the guppies...but, this could have been a possibility then. He seemed to be okay and I haven't noticed the mollies showing any agression what so ever.

since i removed my male fighter out of the guppy tank there hasnt been any new guppy with nipped fins.

but anyway i would of moved it soon enough as iv finally been able to get some female fighters from the lfs.

i think with most fish it comes down to its personality as iv kept bettas and guppies together before and theyve been fine, must just come down to th individuals.