Hi everyone.

DX

Have learnt a lot from this forum since I started up my first tropical tank a month ago. What a great site! :D

Atm, I have a 10 gallon community tank (50cm x 30cm x 25cm) with 23 tropical freshwater fish. It is a bit overstocked I guess. (I was addicted and cannot help myself from visiting LFS at the begining. :o )

I have:

7 x guppies

8 x neon tetra

2 x pleco (donot know what kind)

4 x red eye tetra

2 x peppered cory

All are great fish. I lost 4 neon tetras in the first two week, and now it seems settled, hopefully. 8) I wont buy any new fish for a while, but I am very keen to breed some. There must be a breeding fish in the tank, as the other day I suprisely saw a small fish (about 1cm long, should be a large fry). I have not seen it again. Wish the little guy could survive. One of my guppies is pregnant too. Really look forward to the birth of fries.

That is for today. Be good.

Dan

Hiya DX, welcome. The fry you saw was probably a guppy, as they give brth to live young and it's honestly the only type of fish that could have "accidentally" bred out of that group. The fry are pretty crafty and I've seen some grow up entirely without any protection from the other fish. Be sure and get a breeding net (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 641403.htm) for the guppy so you have a place to put all the fry when they're born. You can even try putting the prego mom in there the day before once you've been through a few births and know what to look for.

That fry is probably still alive and very very good at hiding. If not, you'll have some more within a few weeks!

Anyways, enjoy the tank and try not to overstock it. The neons that died initially were probably knocked out by a chemical spike during the natural cycle that takes place within the first month of a tank running.

Lots of great people around, try and join a local club!

Blue

Thanks blue. I do have a breeding net. I put the mom into the net for a couple of times before but nothing really happened. The guppy was a bit upset in the net and she once got one black eye after stayed in the net overnight. The black eye went away in a few hours after back to main tank though, but that really scared me. I am still waiting for a right moment to put her back in again although I have no idea about when is right.

Cheers, Dan

Welcome to the Fishroom Dan :)

Breeding traps are like Solitary Confinment for your fish, and can cause lots of stress in many cases.

Having your tank well planted with fine leaved plants is a better option, as it is survival of the fittest fry.. and those that "do" survive are usually strong healthy fish..

Bill,

Nice pics. A couple of points though...

If you are going to provide the fish with reading material you should stand it up the right way (unless you have some upsidedown cats in there and it is just for them) :wink:

That puppy will outgrow your tank. :lol:

You don't actually have to go upgrade your camera for better pictures. Wait until it's dark and turn off all the lights in the room, and make the tank as bright as possible (turn all tank lights on). Hold the camera close to the glass (but not too close as sometimes it can spook them) and try and use a Macro setting, if possible. Good pics though, nicely done.

Around 8 am this morning one of my guppies gave birth to at least 16 fries in the tank. (I managed to catch 16 and put them into the breeding net.) It is really amusing to see small fries popping out from mom's tummy.

The mom is not the one I long expected, so really a big suprise :o .

I have another guppy having a huge tummy which is at least twice big as the mom of today, but she still has no sign to drop. Donot know what she thinks. :-?

I fed the fries with some crushed flake and the powder I scratch off shrimp pellet. I found this webpage about feeding guppy fires. http://guppyplace.tripod.com/Fry.html

Will try egg yolk tonight as it seems to be the easiest to get. :D