cold water?

fishy family

My 9yr old has a 40l tank in his room and has 5 zebra danios in it. :)

we are a bit disapointed with them as although they are cool little fish we cant really see them well and were wondering about what else could go in the tank with them.

we ideally dont want to run a heater in the tank so are looking for cold water fishies.

Are there any goldfish varieties that would do well? Or would they eat the danios?

we really want something that will stand out.

any suggestions? He really wanted axolotals but mamma said no cos they creep me out. :o

White cloud mountain minnows (WCMM's) are great for kids because they are so hardy and are very easy to breed. I would suggest getting just a few (4-5) so you can have fun breeding a school of them.

All that is required to breed them is some plant cover (Java moss, Java fern, Indian fern, etc) for the eggs. To start the actual breeding put in some water that is colder than the tank, about 10 liters for you and just a few degrees colder than the tank (I use rain water). This fools the fish into thinking it has rained.

You would need some cover on the substrate (gravel), WCMM's are egg scatters so will just randomly drop the eggs all over the bottom of the tank, they and your other fish will eat them if they can see them.

Sorry Shiuh no at the moment mine are out in the pond now, they breed fast there but only in the summer. I'll post when the weather improves and I see them swimming again (they are like cockroaches, if I can see 1 I know I have 100).