What's this clown?

SteveA

Can anyone ID this fellow?

Clown270705.JPG

I have looked through a number of publications and many pictures on the RC site and other web sources, but cannot find a complete match. I have found several relatively close but nowhere have I seen that tail, with its basic white colour but yellow top and bottom rays.

Other things to note

- White edge to otherwise black rear dorsal fin

- Orange/Yellow anal fin

- Orange Belly

- Front half of body tending towards orange.

Steve

closest i can see would be the Orange-fin Clownfish Amphiprion chrysopterus

how old is it?? cause its body shape (especialy around the head) doesnt look completly formed and so the colours wouldnt be final either

It is at least 4 years old. This colour scheme was either not as developed, or I just failed to notice it, in its earlier years.

Steve

I'd not heard of them before posting the inquiry here and on RC. Only found one other picture as well.

Guy on RC said they were hard to keep as didn't want to feed. Mine certainly was no trouble. I will look out for a young one.

how did you keep it a female all that time????? would be handy to know

Females are always bigger than the males. Male clowns will/can change sex to female. I think it is a one way change so once a girl, always a girl. If you get juveniles, one will go male, one will go female, the others will stay juvenile and be driven away by the pair.

No, he has not grown at all. The female was twice as big.

I had three common clowns as well. All about 4cm long at best who lived in a finger coral. As soon as I got them their own anemone, two paired off and chased the other away. It had been happy families up till then. The two then started growing, literally over night. It became obvious wo the female was. The male clarki I have has no reason to change.

I am now pretty sure it is a male Clarkii.

Found it here.

http://wish.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/~kwaldon/species.htm

A very good site.

The picture I put up does exagerate the blue, and I initially thought it was totally an artifact of the lights and the camera. Closer examination shows it to have a blue tinge even under room lighting.

Steve