Ammonia ok...nitrites not!

Caper

110L:

Ammonia 0

Nitrites - last night I checked and they were 1.6...did 20% water change, no vacuuming just syphoned out the water...and added cycle as was recommended in booklet that came with test kit.

Checked tonight...nitrites down to .8...should I change any water tonight???

Hi Caper

At 0.8 the nitrite level is still too high but not by much. At .9mg/l its getting severe. Have you got a decent filter? If you have a decent filter then It needs a chance to develop nitrite eating bacteria and I'd recommend a 10% water change to reduce the test reading down a bit but still leave some for the filter bacteria to eat and develop on. If you don't have a decent filter I'd keep up with the 20% changes until the reading is zero.

Thanks Tanksman :bow::bow:

The filter is the one that came with the tank. Aqua Tech 20/40 which somebody here...shoot, sorry don't remember who :oops: :oops: said that should be fine.

So...with that in mind...do you suggest the 10% or 20% tonight since I did the 20% last night? I don't want to take out too much or my tank will never cycle :-?

And if I go with the 10%...should I do it each night till nitrites go down?'

:hail::hail:

YIPPEE Tanksman!

Thank you...I did a 10% change last night...and the night before because nitrites were still high. Tested tonight...down to .3

I was trying to think of what I could be doing wrong that I couldn't get the nitrites down...I think I was changing too large a volume of water :oops: :oops: in my weekly water changes.

After all the things the folks taught me here....I guess I forgot how to calculate :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks again!

Hi

I have found an amazing product called Nitrazorb, it is rather expensive like $40.00, but well worth it. I put it into a filter, found that the actual pouch it comes in is too big so I carefully lifted the stuff out of the pouch and placed it in a stocking.

It helps and is made for new setups to assist in cycling a new tank and also elimintes any spikes. It eliminates nitrites, nitrates, does not affect the ph level and ammonia is also eliminated.

What is also excellent about the product is that you can recharge it and use it over and over again. By just putting it in 250 mils of warm water and 4 tablspoons of aquarium salt. Instructions are all in the container.

Anyway had to share this as I had untold probs with high ammonia and nitrites and this eliminated them within around 3 days plus of course I also did my water changes.

Hiya

I also questioned this but if you look at the product it explains how it fits into the process, and it does not intefer with the process it. I suggest you take the opportunity to have a look at this product. I used it towards the end of my cycling of the tank but know that it is made for use in new setups and also some discus fish breeders swear by this product.

I think nitra-zorb can be dangerous as the natural cycle of the tank would be inhibited by using this too soon and your filtration system would become dependant on the constant presence of this material. I assume that it would run out of absorbancy at a certain point and unless you're watching it carefully (and recharging it on a regular basis) you'll end up getting an unexpected cycle later on n the life of the tank and the usual problems until you figure out nitra-zorb is the culprit. I think if you use it occasionally to treat the tank for high levels then it'll be okay, but use it in moderation. Sound right?

hi

See what you mean but I do recharge regularly and also it does say and so has the Lpetshop that I brought it from. That it can be always used as part of the filter.

I used it when the nitrites were around 0.5 for around 10 days, and the ammonia was around 0.25 so I guess it was really around the end of the cycle as the tank had been in cycle mode for around 8 or 9 weeks.

The best thing is to cut your losses and throw it away.

Of course the manufacturers will have all the "GOOD" hype written up about it.

Once your filter is stabilised you will be fine as long as when you clean the filter you use water from the tank.

I'm also another who doesn't like to add anything, except water, food, fish, and TLC, to a fish tank.

Alan 104