Noisy tank

kbird

I have recently set up a 50 lit. with undergravel filter which is working fine, except for the fact it is bubbling so loud I can hear it several rooms away at night. Other than turning the air supply right down or installing perhaps a car muffler on it, any suggestions?

I also have a 180 lit with Fluvall 204 filter which works well as far as surface agitation is concerned, UNTIL I put some Ricci in. A blender could not have done a better job of decimating it and I now have small bits of Ricci scattered throughout the tank. Again, any suggestions?

Yes,

turn down the air, you should be able to count the bubbles.

If you only have the one feed of air from the pump,

you may need to introduce a 'bleeder' into your airline.

This takes off the excess (air) pressure on your pump and increases it's life.

Make sure the air-lift tube is not near to the glass wall of the tank,

it will act like a sounding board.

Alan 104

Hi Kevin

IMHO the outlet on your canister filter needs to be below the surface at least 15mm if you want the riccia to be OK. Also IMHO you don't need the surface to be broken by the outlet / return water producing air bubbles - Simply having the surface turning over - by having the outlet close but not breaking the surface - will provide adequate oxygenation / gas exchange - you have a ton of surface area in that tank and don't need bubbles.

As to the other tank - hiff that airpump away thats currently powering the UG filter and cough up :P for a small power head or filter (300l/hr) and use it to reverse flow the UG filter - ie the outlet of the power head needs to be piped down the riser stem where the water will make its way back up through the gravel. IMHO you don't need airpumps in there either so turn it off and get some sleep.

Someone else may be able to find the links to information about the interaction between the surface of the water and the air being sufficient to exchange gases in the water.

Yeah, what tanksman said...

Aside from that, Riccia will "regroup" to form the floating bed again. Just give it a few days to find the quiet part of the water surface to collect in. Once your Riccia has started forming the bed, gently move the bits that are getting all over the tank to that location and add it to the mat.

Otherwise, your Fluval 204 comes with flexible hoses to make the inlet and outlwt as low as you want. Just move the angle benders farther along the hose and the outlet should be lower in the water and create less agitation )riciia will do what I described above once that is done correctly).

As for the air bubbles, toss the air pump for a pump-based filtration system. I like the idea above of the reverse-UG system.

Yeah I've got four of them (airpumps) - They are really useful sometimes especially for raising fry so you might want to just tuck it away in case you get another few tanks :P

The thing to be sure of when you get a power filter is that you can attach a hose to it to send the flow down the riser stem. Maybe something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Pumps-filters/auction-32077003.htm Might suit you - Some are difficult to attach a hose to - like the shark ones i think.

And yeah the riccia will be fine - it's tough stuff - and sounds like its had a good wash now and should be clear of algae and leaves :oops:

No thanks - I'd sell them but theyre not worth anything really - so i'll keep em for my grandiose fish farm ideas :P The microworms are excellent and are a perfect combination for brine shrimp and javamoss (infusoria) to feed the fry. Thanks heaps

• 2 weeks later...