New to tropicals and loving it

Zedd

Hi everyone, we are beginners to freshwater tropicals and we are getting so much enjoyment out of it that we rarely watch TV any more and our cat is feeling very neglected!!!

We started with a 90L tank and within a very short time we had moved up to a 300L tank. Wanted our fish to have more room. We did make the mistake of purchasing fish that have the potential to grow rather large, but we are already planning the next tanks.

Our 300L community has 3 silver sharks, 3 clown loaches, 2 dwarf gouramis, 1 red tail shark, 1 pictus, 1 red-spot plectus, 1 bristlenose and a few danios and tetras. We know that this is a lot of fish but they are all small at the moment and like I say we are already planning the next tanks for when they grow. Our plectus, pictus and larger loach are the best of mates hang out together alot.

In the smallet tank we have started with a few cichlids - boy they are sure different fish!!

One of our loaches developed white spot early on and we have managed to treat and get rid of that succesfully. Our pictus got caught in the net when purchased, we hoped the net would fall off, but ended up having to cut it off ourselves due to the fact that he was bruising the side of his body, amazingly he stayed surprisingly still for this, he has developed a fungal growth and we have had some sucess treating that. We are having problems with one of the sharks and have posted a thread in the disease section.

Our nights are spent gazing at fish, changing water and doing all the tests now.

Hi Jude,

Thanks for the welcome, was really pleased to find this sight I'm sure we will have lots of fun on it - I'll do the surfing and leave hubby to the cleaning of the tanks :roll: Will definitely call into chat-room one night. We're busy trying to fix our silver shark at the moment.

Nicolle

Nahhhhh....your cat wont feel neglected....you just got it it's very own tv! My cats love the fish tanks and spend hours looking wistfully at the fish swimming about....and then they climb ontop of the wooden lid to go to sleep and enjoy the warmth from the light underneath.

Welcome to the site.....what big fishies you have!

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the welcomes. We have just finished setting up our Cichlid tank and the little guys love it.

We may have bitten off more than we can chew (been told a few stories about these guys) but at the moment they all seem to get on and everything going well.

Paul & Nicolle

Hi there!

Welcome to the site. I see you already have the untreatable, incurable disease...MTS :lol: :lol:

Gee...people look at me kinda funny when I tell them...I'm watching TV then all of a sudden I'm staring at the fish! So...I am not ALONE :o

When I first got my tank, my cat was scared of the fish...but then...he is scared of flies, so he probably thought that's what they were. But in time, he took an interest...but hardly bothers anymore...I think it was once he realized he just couldn't get them no matter how many times he "pawed" the tank :roll:

Have fun here...great site!

Dolorosa

Yep our cat is getting used to it all, knows not to jump at tank and its really funny watching her try to hold herself back!! The other day she found the perfect possie - her basket is under the cichlid tank, she was almost laying on her back with her head resting on side just gazing at them swimming by. She particularly likes the clown loaches in the community tank, and I'm positive that they love teasing her.

Great to meet you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy an welcome. We now have "Cat TV"s in just about every room and our lil pusses spend a LOT of time longingly gazing into the tanks. They also seem most intrigued by our loaches, particularily a 6" long yo-yo loach whom our girl thinks looks like a mouse with a til fin and she SCREAMS and runs over every time he comes into her view.

So another hearty welcome, be sure and join a local club and check out the chat room!