Guppy only diseases

Snowman

Snowman y have the same problem as me. Presents y don't want. Mine seem to have stop dieing??? Couldn't say why, maybe just the weak ones couldn't handle it?? Line breeding is what Livebearers is all aout and as with Alan local all the way a lot of LFS don't stock them as it's to hard for them??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snowman's case is a bit more than just the odd few deaths due to something that has been passed on through breeding, and more likely to be something in the current setup than anything else, although it does seem that Guppy losses are a common factor in a lot of countries at the moment.

Perhaps there "is" something out there that is being passed on through the new strains that have been bred for looks rather than resilience. The Hardiness, Vigour and Resilience are in the genes, just like all the other traits, so perhaps these were pushed aside at the expense of better looking fish.

Point is... will we ever know :)

Bill.

Not without some actual scientists getting involved and figgerin it out... then again, mebbe guppies are like frogs and they are going to slowly disappear as the environment gets deteriorated. Hard to imagine with the speeds that guppies breed at... mebbe it's an STD?

LOL at BlueandKim STD indeed, the biggest bit that puzzles me is the GBA's and clown loaches are very healthy, them and the swords quite often have a pick at the dead guppies and even after ingesting these dead fish are thriving. Strange all right :o

Wont be long and there wont be any left to die....But then what do i feed the white worms :o :lol:

The swords, clowns and GBA are already eating the dead guppies so if they haven't caught anything from eating the infected fish they should be ok eating white worms that have eaten the same thing.

Most days its a 50-50 whole fish and bits of fish, i remove dead ones in the morning and twice at night but overnight the other fish get a bit peckish and seem to like a dead guppy as a snack.

None of the fish have had any whiteworms yet, i got a donated culture and am trying to enlarge and split it so it is sustainable.

I'm so glad I didn't buy pet store guppies. I went back to the Animates where I tried to buy guppies before and didn't see any, and this was just a week ago.

Of course, I now have 25 guppy babies as in a 10 gallon tank as I bought healthy guppies from a breeder. I haven't had a single death yet.

I went to the Kaiwharawhara one.

Maybe they've gotten them in since I visited. I visited just after they had the new tanks put in and didn't see any guppies for sale.

I would kind of like another female as I've now got 4 beautiful males to 3 females and what looks like another really pretty male on the way. Of course now I'm scared of them getting The Disease. So maybe I should just wait for my fry to grow.

An interesting (unsigned).. article, and one that will obviously convince every Guppy owner that has a bad spate of fish deaths that they are bound to have fish aids... which of course is not the case.

It seems that the Americans "attached" the word "Aids" to anything that they had no logical answer for, and the first time I saw it mentioned was around two years back on an American Angel site... although this article refers to it's possible origin in the Far East.

As the author of that article clearly points out.. they "don't" really have a clue what the problem is, and as they "also" clearly point out... good water conditions and management are the first steps to ANY disease prevention.

I noticed they were advocates of the "Salt Treatments" :)

Columnaris has been around the hobby as long as I can remember.. so this is nothing new, and we all know how deadly that can be... so it may be a new form of this which is highly resistant to treatments.

It should also make everyone that reads that article to carefully consider the risks they are taking when they introduce new fish into their established setups.

What is the price of a spare two footer and heater compared to the loss of your entire stocks...?

For your next tank... THINK QUARANTINE.... :)

Bill.

I'vejust lost my fourth one. I didn't take much notice of the condition of the first 2 that died. Figured it was something I had done wrong.

I bought 4 more a couple of days ago, (2 of each sex), and yesterday found one floating dead. Last night I found the second one struggling between trying to swim and being swept round the tank by the current. His (her?) tail was almost non existent. Just a few raggy pieces left. All four fish that died (the original 2 and these latest two), were the same sex. Not sure which lol, but they are the one's with the flashier tails so presume male?

I did wonder if perhaps something else was eating their tails. (although I only know for sure that the last one had no tail) But when I had the first 2 die, I only had a few neons and a CAE in the tank, and the CAE died first!

I think I won't bother buying anymore guppies. Hopefully the 2 that are left will be okay. Remains to be seen. The funny thing is, I also ended up with a guppy fry for nothing as it got caught with the others, and its still alive! lol

It's called needle because they seem to loose the rounded part of their stomach and end up needle shaped. It's the closest i've been to a diagnosis so it's a start.

I'm picking it came in with a metallic guppy i bought from my LFS, it's still alive so makes me wonder if like other diseases there are some with immunity that can cary and spread it but not be affected by it.

Without knowing what it is it's almost impossible to say.

Last guppy i buy.

Jeez, I am definitely not buying any more guppies now even though I want another female.

OK, if anyone in Welly who's having to start over wants baby guppies, I am up to 30 babies and 9 adults now in a 10 gallon tank and some of them need to go to new, loving homes.

I will probably end up getting some more guppies but they will be from people i know (privately) rather than LFS, eliminates most of the risk and i can keep an eye on them for a while before acquiring, almost like a quarantine period.

I will be moving the platties out of my Q tank tommorrow, but need somewhere to put b/nose fry, looks like i wont be getting any new fish until i can free up the Q tank again.

I bought 3 felmale guppies two weeks ago from Jansens. This morning the last one of them died. :cry: I noticed all of them got rot fin/tail with some whiteish stuff attached (fungus?). I had frequent water change after I found they were not well, but it did not help. I still have 4 adult guppies in the tank which were bought a month ago, and they are not affected at all. Does that indicate I got a 'bad' batch?

I read some posts saying guppy likes salt. I would try that. but would that affect my other fish, like neons? peppered corys? red eye tetra? plecos?

One of the dead guppy had some fries a few days ago. Sure she will be missed by her babies. :roll:

I have tried the salt and it hasn't made any difference, what colours were they, my new ones were what i would call fancy guppies, very colourful.

Fished 6 out today. Mine have been slowly dying for around a month now, keep an eye on them and i hope your were from fin rot, the salt may help or some Melafix if you have some.

Well, the new tank could cause the clamp fins, right?

Here's one question for ya.

I had moved one really pretty juvenile male into the new tank and moved him back after his fins started looking clamped. He's still clamped up, though less so. But do I move him out of the bkg tank and back in with the sickies, or leave him with my older fish? :(

He was the first to get unhappy. It was as if he didn't want to be in with the "babies."

I have too many males, though. Five males to three mature females.

Everyone's looking less distressed now that the tank's cycled for a bit, but I'm still seeing a lot of clamped fins in my babies. :(

The deaths have slowed down, maybe because there are a lot less of them to die.

It's up to about 180 now, getting about 1 a day out but i suspect my Zodiac Loaches are eating some dead ones, saw one Loach finishing off a dead guppy when i got home from work yesterday.

Hoping to get some healthy new guppies soon, possibly a better variety than i had before : -)>