Water Polisher/ing

0pius

Hello All,

I have been reading a bit about the Marineland Magnum 350 filter which is marketed as a water polisher and just wondered if anyone on this forum has come across it or has other suggestions for a water polisher so to speak. I have a 540L tank with puffers so the idea of something to polish the water sounds quite appealing.

Cheers in advance

Hi Opius,

Magnums are big in the USA - Not well known in NZ. Where are you located?

'Water polishing' is simply removing the visible particles from the water - something filter foam and/or (aquarium) cotton wool will do regardless of what brand filter they are in.

Sorry, have no experience with Magnum filters myself, but the USA forum I used to frequent had many members swear by them - untill they discovered Eheim.

Diatom filters are the best water polishers I've ever seen.

They filter out down to a micron and even take ich out of the water column.

Pretty expensive tho, and I'm not too sure if they have survived on the local market.

Alan 104

It isn't a marketing gimmick

The water is so clean that you can't see it.

So in a panic, you go and get the hose to fill up the tank,

only to find out it is already full and now you have to get in the carpet driers to clean up the mess and hope the wife doesn't notice.

She has now put in several ping-pong balls so that I don't make the same mistake again.

Actually, I think the National Aquarium uses one.Just that theirs is a tad bigger.

Alan 104

hi opius.

diatom filters are realy good!!!, because they filter out micron size particles,that also means that they can filter out white spot! which is great!

im looking for a bag for one atm if anybody has one,or knows where i can get one :D

cheers

newtz

I dont think it is no,but thats good then diver jhn!!;i use carbon in one of our filters and it seems to do a good job.....

umm.... alan, it is one of the earlier models of diatom,it is like a jar with a motor on top, we have one to try out(a bag) to see if it fits,but still,spares wld be great!:wink::D

a bit off the topic,but....what kind of puffers do you have opius?salt?brackish?fresh?name?.ect..

cheers

Tim

hey how cool!!

do you have any pictures? puffers have allways been one of those fish that intrest me! i used to have abt five lil brazilian fw puffers,they used to scrape there beaks down the glass late at night to make the most anoying screaching sound ever!! :x i think they were possibly just trying to grind there beaks down like a rabbit with teeth that are too long(do they do that?)

thanks alan,yep thats the ones!,so....

Subtotal: $14.99

Standard Shipping: $6.95

Taxes: $0.00

Total: $21.94 (is this nz$$?)

Tim :)

I know that uv sterilizers dont filter out particals in the water, but i have found when using one, my water is usually really clear(polished) you could say, almost the same as carbon.

Even using pond uv sterilzers on my tanks has worked.

Just a thought :D

Dont diatomatious filters clog really quick? i think i read that somewhere.

Only till the water is filtered clean.

The reason they clog is cause they are cleaning.

The powder that is used is like a talcum powder of ground up diatoms that are a made of silicate.

Care should be taken when recharging these filters as the silicates are harmful to the lungs if ingested.

Alan 104

I wonder how well a 1 micron sediment filter would work compared to a diatom filter? Would be easy enough to rig something up to drop that in your tank with a power head sucking water through it occasionally...Not pretty though.

Well, could you get a filter pad or something to that degree that is rated at 1 micron filtration and stick it in something cheap like an eheim classic filter?

Does anyone actually make filtration pads that would be rated this low?