Using straight natural sea water

toi_ss

Does anyone know if i'm able to use straight natural sea water (apart from some mechanical filtration to remove particulates). I will be getting the water from clean areas and at the right time as well. I'm planning a 300x300x60cm aquarium inspired by the massive bullet shaped aquarium at kelly tarltons in the cafe area. It will basically be like an above ground pond but made from glass. I'm planning to only keep soft corals and macroalgae, could I avoid dosing elements (alk, calcium and magnesium) as long as I do weekly 10% water changes? Also could I get away without a skimmer if I have a large (800 litre+) refugium and a low-medium bioload?

Any help appreciated, Cheers

On 6/8/2024 at 7:11 AM, livingart said:

Yes you can use natural salt water, yes you can avoid dosing elements, 

You may need to increase the percentage of water change as your bioload increases to not use a skimmer

Do you reckon the water from around waitemata harbour is fine to use? I had a look at the water quality report from 2019 but i'm not really sure.  Also will I have to adjust the salinity? Thanks

edit: would a 270x220x50cm (3000 litres) be big enough for a carpet shark or skate and a pufferfish? Also do you think I could use a 2 hp chiller for 3000 litres or more?

Sorry no idea on Waitematas water quality,

if you are keeping local marine fauna no need to alter salinity

my carpet sharks outgrew a 270 x 120 x 60cm in 2  years, having a circular enclosure means they can swim for a long time

yes 2hp will cover that size

6 hours ago, livingart said:

Sorry no idea on Waitematas water quality,

if you are keeping local marine fauna no need to alter salinity

my carpet sharks outgrew a 270 x 120 x 60cm in 2  years, having a circular enclosure means they can swim for a long time

yes 2hp will cover that size

I was planning on using the saltwater for a tropical tank, as in 1.024 - 1.026 sg, if the salinity is too high should I just dilute with rodi water?

12 hours ago, toi_ss said:

I was planning on using the saltwater for a tropical tank, as in 1.024 - 1.026 sg, if the salinity is too high should I just dilute with rodi water?

Yes you will need to alter it and possibly add magnesium and calcium