Cloudy Tank

dhindry

Evening All,

Question time for those using Rowaphos :)

I have about 300 grams in my fluadized filter.

When the water is running through at about 1/2 litre a minute the water coming out is clear. At this point the rowaphos is not fluadized it only sits at the bottom of the filter.

When I turn the flow up it fluadizes the rowaphos but the water coming out is cloudy white, and in about two minutes the whole display tank and sump is cloudy.

The only way to stop this is to turn the filter right down again to such a slow flow.

It turns anything in the tank a rusty red colour when it comes in contact with it.

Has anyone every had this happen to them?

I'm wonding if it is effecting my calcium in the tank?

Thanks Guys and Girls :)

I had big problems using rowaphos in my merlin for about 10 days,

Everything in the tank was covered in a red rust looking powder, i mean the glass the rocks, the s/bed and the corals.

The water was milky for days on and off while i totued with the flow rates of the merlin.

Now my tank is realy starting to show the effects and im very very happy

1. Be carefull not to reduce the merlin to the off position, this will crush the rowa and release more fine particles reulting in rust and milky again.

2. DO NOT overfluidise the stuff, the top off the rowa should only be rippling.

3. After a few weeks you can try turning it up a little more, but look into the chamber if you see rust rising turn down.

4. You could use it to do a small water change, by turning it up and placing the effluent into a bucket, this will remove alot of the finer particles.

Again this product is working very well for me, my brown, green polyp'd acro frags are starting to lighten in colour and go purple :D

HTH

Ben

Make sure you also follow the instructions as putting too much rowaphos in will reduce your ph as most iron based product will do that.

Be a good idea to dose kaltwasser to get your ph up.

People have killed there freshwater fish because they used too much and the ph dropped way down.

the other thing i thought about using rowaphos is to use it daily only for 2-3 hours for a week and then 4-5 hours and step it up every week as it can bleach your coral as it it will shock them when dropping phostphates to quick and coral can get burned from uv as it also does clear your water.