Peoples sumps

Anthony

yes, but the idea is still the same, just on a larger scale. no different just cut it down for your tank. for a 180 litre tank, consider having a 2 or 3 foot sump. if you're bold, go for a separate refugium. a 2 foot fuge (or plastic container!) and 2 foot sump would be ok. you need to design it for the room you have. if you can fit it, you could even go for a 4 foot tank with 3 sections (2 sets of baffles between each section) one for fuge, one for skimmer and one for return. the options are endless.

the main things you need to watch for is:

- most important: allow a reasonable amount of room in the return section for back flow if the power to the return pump goes off!

- always better to go larger on piping down to sump then too small. however return plumbing is crucial to work out correct size (see me later for this if you like)

- use baffles whenever possible to reduce microbubbles - especially in the return section

- keep fuge separate (or segregated) from skimmer or return - you dont want caleurpa getting sucked into and blocking the skimmer inlet - or if skimmer is first from overflow, you dont want caleurpa getting sucked into return pump - you get the idea.

- design for the flow of return (which is same as flow into sump) to avoid your fuge sandbed getting disturbed too much (ie: both my and pies setups have so much flow into fuge it's almost bubbling over the sides!)

- allow for future expansion, bigger skimmer? rowaphos? zeovit? nitrate reactor?

- ... more?

My sump is just an old 135L tank and, for the last 10 years, this has been perfectly adequate to support a 1600L reef plus, up till recently, a second 250L tank. Now I have more space I will probably build a bigger one, and put a section of rock in it, but I don't really need to.

i find a large fuge and sump really good, more volume = less change of minor problems becoming major problems. fuge is great because it grows all the unwanted algae that you may get in your display tank. large sump is good for ease of water changes too. you can hold more livestock in the main tank. the skimmer doesnt have to be rated to sustain the entire volume of the system because the fuge and sump dont necessarily have livestock in it (or minimal) in fact, the fuge means greater area for biological breakdown of nutrients, growth of pods, an area for harassed fish, etc. only downside is larger water changes :D