Some of you are going to laugh but...

Tanksman

Can anyone tell me what this means

"Sunshine pleco X2

L14

About 4cm getting more color with age."

What does the L14 mean - Ive seen this on a few places lately

- the L business followed by a number.

I won't be able to sleep until I find out.

:oops:

I'm not laughing and I doubt anyone else will either. The only way to find out stuff is to ask

I will be interested in the answer because I don't know what the L is for either altho I've worked out it is how the plecos are classified? classed? identified? something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Jude

What is an L-number?

Over the last few years, the hobby has seen an increase in the numbers of loricariid species offered for sale.

Many new ones have been discovered, and it is proving very time-consuming for the taxonomists to fully identify the fish and give them a scientific name.

To overcome this, a numbering system has been devised that gives these catfish an identity until they are described by science. As a result, you will see many of these beautiful catfish offered for sale with an L number, or an LDA number, with the L referring to the fact that the catfish belongs to the family Loricariidae.

From the Practical Fishkeeping website :wink:

Waiting for a K number for killifish as their specific names are some what like tongue twisters

I'm into really easy names...you folks all amaze me when you use the big, long, hard to pronounce names :bow:

Flaming heck..... as much as I loved Harry (my unknown lettered/numbered pleco) I am glad hge snuffed it if he was likely to grow to THAT size! lol.....STILL waiting to see my first real bristlenose. My corydoras are the cutest wee things....but my mothers corydoras are HUGE (at least 5 times the size of mine)