Homemade food

Ira

I was thinking of making some food and puree-ing it to feed to my fungia and whatever else will eat it. Any suggestions on contents? I was thinking something like equal parts shrimp, whitebait and some kind of fish. How about surimi? I don't know exactly what's put into it other than crab?

Oh, and now for the real reason for this post, so I can have somewhere to put this pic.:)

yellowpolyp.jpg

Nice pic.......

I did that....made my own food in a processor...Never do it again, The wife didnt touch me for three days and The kitchen stank for a week!

Better to go the LFS and swap between brine and mysid and add spiralina every now and then

Just my opinion!

I haven't had any real trouble with any other homemade food. In fact, the shrimp grinds up VERY nicely while frozen.:) And it's a pain in the butt to get to the nearest fish store with mysis, they're an hour and a half round trip.

My Homemade fish food consists of cut up cooked muscles, shrimps cut up and some dried fish food. Cut it up into little pieces and then puree it if required. Add some Gelitene (sp) and some water to hold it all together then freeze it.

Daniel

Jude:

I use whitebait but it is #2 we eat the good stuff, one of the staff love whitebaiting and gives it to me helps to keep the fish food bill down a bit.

P.S. Whitebait season starts next month the 15th I think. I better order some nets in.

My Homemade fish food consists of cut up cooked muscles, shrimps cut up and some dried fish food. Cut it up into little pieces and then puree it if required. Add some Gelitene (sp) and some water to hold it all together then freeze it.

Daniel

Why add the gelatine? I think the last thing I want to do is have it stay in a clump. For feeding corals wouldn't you want it more a bunch of small individual pieces?

I lightly boil the mussels first, just to get them solid enough to be able to grate them with a cheese grater. But I've always thought raw would be better, Cookie Extreme how do you deal to the raw ones?

I know you're a Chef so I'm sure you have some chopping technique mastered! I'd like to know how to get them into bite sized chunks, but not pureed.

Oh, well I've already mixed mine last night, it's in the fridge.

I will freeze it, that might work.

I've been feeding it for several weeks with not much responce. However last night about an hour after I fed had a look with the torch, and there was better polyp extension than I have ever seen. I also put a lot less in last night, as I hope to feed a smaller amount, but each day.

I have found that if you feed the tank late at night (within an hr of lights out) you will often witness better polyp extension. I often feed the tank twice, once to involke the feeding responce, and again an hr or so after lights out to feed.

Pie