Cleanup crew for my lagoon aquarium?

toi_ss

Hi, this is my first post on here but I have been lurking for a while.

Does anyone know any cuc/clean up crew that we are allowed here in nz/ can collect for reef tanks that eat algae apart from the turbo snail? I know we can have the longspine urchin but im reluctant because of their sting - my tank is 130x68x35cm. Also I know there are tangs and stuff but I don't really want any in my aquarium for feeding and size reasons. Does anyone know if Dardanus Gemmatus/Jeweled anenome hermit crab eats algae?? Needs to be reef safe and good with 24 degree water

Hi, you can find lists of tropical marine flora available to be imported to NZ. You can use animals from local rockpools but most won't survive long in constant temperatures over 20 degrees centigrade and also have the potential to carry parasites.

3 hours ago, livingart said:

Hi, you can find lists of tropical marine flora available to be imported to NZ. You can use animals from local rockpools but most won't survive long in constant temperatures over 20 degrees centigrade and also have the potential to carry parasites.

Yeah ive looked at the mpi lists - but do you know anything about the anenome hermit crabs?

3 hours ago, livingart said:

No tropical ones availble but we have a local one but usually found in deeper water.

Yeah, I read up on the dardanus hermit crabs, apparently they are all very aggressive and eat fish and aren't really very good at cleaning up

On 4/21/2024 at 11:35 AM, toi_ss said:

Yeah, I read up on the dardanus hermit crabs, apparently they are all very aggressive and eat fish and aren't really very good at cleaning up

That hasn't been my experience with them, they eat fish that have died usually

And only attempt to catch fish when not fed enough

On 4/23/2024 at 2:43 PM, livingart said:

Sorry, this isn't to do with the original topic of the thread but do you know if there are any rays/skates and sharks that are keepable in home aquaria here? My max tank size would probably be around 2200 litres if that isn't too small and what would you feed them? Thanks

On 4/25/2024 at 8:25 PM, toi_ss said:

Sorry, this isn't to do with the original topic of the thread but do you know if there are any rays/skates and sharks that are keepable in home aquaria here? My max tank size would probably be around 2200 litres if that isn't too small and what would you feed them? Thanks

All sharks and rays will outgrow that tank size

Ihave kept very young rays and sharks  for short periods  but they don't take well to captivity

10 hours ago, livingart said:

All sharks and rays will outgrow that tank size

Ihave kept very young rays and sharks  for short periods  but they don't take well to captivity

Could probably go up to 10,000 litres if i'm using seawater from the ocean and not buying synthetic salt, would this be too small for a horn/carpet shark and or longtail skate long term?