PowerHeads / Undergravel filters

@ndrew

I have been into a few a few pet shops here looking for a Powerhead filter and haven't had much luck.

Are the Power heads sold separate from the Undergravel fiter plates and tubes or do the power heads come with the tubes and plates?

What experiences have you had with undergravel filters powered by a powerhead?

What brands of powerheads / Undergravel filters do you recommend

I want a power that is quite, and adjustable in power???

Thanks!

:D

Powerheads are sold by themselves as a small unit (she says looking at the box in front of her). I have a Rio 600 aqua pump/powerhead but they come in a range of sizes and oomph. I won it at one of the FNZAS conferences but it is still in the box. I think I have a couple more around somewhere. This one has a sticker with $32 on it. Remember I have had this 3 or 4 years so the price won't be accurate.

It does not seem to be adjustable but maybe someone else may be able to tell you if others are.

I'm using a "AquaClear, Powerhead 201" in a hexy tank to drive the undergravel filter. It seems to work quite well. I think all powerheads are sold as separate units, then you just have to attach them to the top of the undergravel riser stem (which may or may not be easy depending on the adapers that the powerhead comes with). My one is adjustable and the only noise it makes is a sucking/gurgling noise if you have the air incorporation venturi open too far. Otherwise it is silent. Even with this sucking noise it is still much quiter than the humm that comes with using an air pump to drive the undergravel.

They have other larger models too, 301, 401 etc. Not sure of the flow rates each one does however the 201's do about 400-500 LpH apparently. As far as price goes I think mine was about $40-50.

I would definitely recommend using one of these for an undergravel. If I had the $$ I would think about converting all my undergravels to using powerheads.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andrew

It depend on the make. The cheap one I have fits most riserstems. The adaptor is stepped to accomodate different sizes. The Flugal has a rubbercone which fit all riserstems. If you dont use the airventuri inlet, then they are more quiet than a silent airpump.

john

Hi Midas

Some airpumps make that much noise that I can hear it from the lounge room right back into the computer room. I can't even watch TV. There are silent ones and NOISY ones Midas. It depends on quality.

So there is no contradiction. I am talking about a vibrator type. Just listen to an electric razor. Same noise with cheap airpumps.

John

What type of air pump are you saying is silent? I have never seen a piston pump in operation and these may be silent, but all the vibrating ones I have tried from $5 to $50 are definitely not silent even if the box says they are. To me it is false advertising, if something is stated to be silent then it should make no noise, not even a peep. The more reliable statement on the box to me is what decibel level they emit at a given distance.

What types and makes of air pump would you regard as 'silent'? and how much did you pay for them?

Hi Midas

I think it was around the $25 mark and one outlet is suffient for at least 2 -3 riserstems with stones. Lost the box with the info. But I can find out if you wish. Will ring the LFS tomorrow and get back to you.

John