Ghost Shrimp

Snowman

I say he is smart especially if he is a young boy

Personally i don't like seeing people get ripped off

How can they be getting ripped off the value of somthing is the benifits less the costs. The people that pay for them may get a good feeling by knowing they help a young child.

I agree that yes you can get them cheeper but what are the costs involved in getting them cheeper? Time to learn where to catch them, time to catch them, petrol driving to catch them, time driving there

Costs aren't puerly represented in $$$$ just what most of us focus on

Interesting how this thread changed tact once age was discovered 8)

Think the young fella has a business streak brewing ... but should be 100

glass shrimp ( babys of course for that money) ..

or 50 large , then i'd be interested in buying rather than collecting ...

ever seen what banded and cleaner shrimp do to these .. omg .. slaughter makes the holocaust seen trivial ..... hmmmmmmm !

@ snowman .. excuse my reef terminology ignorance but "GBA" ?

@Chimera .. would you accept $5.50 plus a bag of twisties ? .. you can keep the dentures tho .. :wink:

Age shouldn't have anything to do with price.

If he's under 18 he shouldn't have a Trade Me account.

If he's that young

a, he wouldnt have a car

b, therefore no gas

c, time doesn't have a lot of value

Hence basically no costs.

How much has he outlayed ?

How much does it cost him monthly?

Probably nothing as his parents would pay power etc

Would you happily pay $15 for one of these? I definetly wouldn't and don't know anyone that would. Not when you could have one of my GBA for the same price :wink:

No I still haven't changed my tune, no matter what age he is. Its not the fact that he was selling them but the wording of the ad. If he had come clean and described them as native or NZ marine shrimp then it would have been a bit more honest.

By the way if he is under 18 then he has already been dishonest by listing on Trademe.

His wording was *WOW* RED AND ORANGE BANDED,GHOST CLEANER SHRIMPS to me that sounds like an imported $$$ shrimp. He then goes on to say "THATS WHAT I THINK THEY ARE" - Now if he caught them himself then he would know what they are (just open a NZ marine book or google). It could be that he brought them himself and if so my apologies and sympathies for getting conned. But if he didn't then to me the ad is misleading.

Buying something you can catch yourself is fair enough - I recently brought 4 Inanga’s from a LFS for $9.95 each. I could have caught them but the hassle involved wasn't worth it to me (no suitable streams in the area I live). But I knew what they were and had could weigh up the pros and cons of buying. If he had called them "Common Shrimp" or Leander affinis then people would also be able to weigh up the pros and cons. In my opinion by making them sound exotic is just plain dishonest.

Ask yourself this: would you accept this description for a common shrimp from a LFS??

? I am really surprised by this thread.

What if he was catching crayfish and selling them in a roadside stall or to neibours etc. The crayfish cost nothing so would that mean that $10.00 is too much for them?

As for his age, who cares. I wouldn't care if the person I was dealing with the 15 or 50, as long as they didn't muck me around. Age has little to do with maturity. If you old enough to buy for a shop in town then your old enough to buy and sell and trademe.

Pie

It's a question of value, i think most people would say a crayfish is worth a lot more than a common shrimp, same as common fish are generally cheap and rare fish are expensive.

His age doesn't bother me but it shows the sort of person he is if he has lied to Trade Me (their terms and conditions say he must be 18 or over not me).

IMO $15 is way over priced. But then Trade Me is full of overpriced goods.

Lied or didn't read it?

If not reading a EULA before agreeing to it is an indication of poor character, or makes someone a lier, then I am am one dishonest mofo.

He has lots of positive feedbacks which should speak volumes.

Also as for a case of value, like my crayfish example. Just because you think a glass shrimp isn't worth $10 but a crayfish is don't mean a thing. The fact that someone would pay $10 for glass shrimp may seem insane to you, but its worth what someone will pay for it in the end, I think someone who would pay more than 20k for a car or anyone who lives in Auckland is insane, but thats not to say they are.

If his advertising is misleading, well if that was against't the law companies like Air NZ, McDonalds and KFC would have been shut down decades ago. Let the buyer beware.

Pie

I wouldn't say crayfish cost nothing .. you ever filled up dive tanks plus gas for the boat + car then travel time ... boat time + dive time and if your lucky you get a few good crays .. the price you pay in seafood shops aren't that bad, even thou the crays in these shops are bloody small and we don't even think about bringing them up to the boat... the price you pay is being down there hunting but in my case most of the time just buzzing out at the sealife down there ... crays are just the bonus. 8) 8)

beats the hell out of a dozen beers and made my weekend. Mmmmmm crayfish

i beg to differ,... beer AND crayfish, cant beat that. but so true - MMMMMMMmmmmm crayfish!!!!! i might go out and have a seafood lunch tomorrow, im typing and salivating just thinking of it...!!!

it's bizzare how such a trivial topic can end up spanning 3 pages on this forum. is everyone bored? :P

as an aside, i bought some streams off jetskisteve yesterday for a great price. and thanks steve for giving me some time to pay for them, easier on the wallet for now and no way i could have bought them otherwise. returning the favour i see :D now take streams for example, they cost alot of money in the scheme of things,... it's only a couple of pumps and a controller? so is a glass shrimp in comparison really worth $15?!!! can you compare? no but the point is if you really want something, price is not always the limiting factor.

the guy pulled it off and made money out of it! most of you would do the same if you could :D

$15.00 too much?

If there is someone here who is prepared to go down and catch a bunch of glass shrimp, take home and advertise on TM, and sell for LESS than $15.00, please let me know who you are.

By the way it is not one glass shrimp. From what I've seen it usually works out at 10 glass shrimp for $10.00 minus fees.

I think he is an enterprising guy. He will probably end up with a LFS, unless he moves on to greater things.

I wouldn't say crayfish cost nothing .. you ever filled up dive tanks plus gas for the boat + car then travel time ... boat time + dive time and if your lucky you get a few good crays ..

Travel and collection time, + time to travel etc are the point I am trying to make. I live in Wellington, you don't need a boat or scuba to catch crays here, so the only costs are your own time.

If someone here said 'hey pies, send me a glass shrimp and i'll give you $10.00' i'd probably so no, can't be bothered not worth the effort.

Pie

By the way he has relisted, and it is only 1 shrimp. However he's willing to include extras at the closing price of the auction for each one.

So wasp that will be $100 for your bag of 10 please. :lol:

I'm in two minds, on one hand good on him for making some pocket money, and he has a picture up there so only a fool wouldn't realise what they were paying for. On the other he does misrepresent them by saying things like "tropical" and "best suited to temp 19-28 degrees"

Actually, brings to mind a memory from around 30 years ago when I did a stint as a commercial fisherman, working of Manganui, in the far North.

In that business, sometimes you can get an unexpected windfall. One time another fisherman was down at the harbour to work on his boat, when he noticed a major school of pillies. He slung a net around them, and netted about 400 bucks, not bad when the average weekly wage would have been about 80 or 90 bucks.