help! whitespot!

guppylover2

hi there

just got my first outbreak of whitespot. i think an aging female guppy wth lowered resistance has caught it first, then gave it to my betta. the betta were already moved to their individual tanks, so i'm treating them there.

my question is:

once i remove my guppy from the main tank, as none of the other fish seem to have it, should i still treat the whole tank? i am concerned because apparently malachite green can be bad for clown loaches, and i have three large ones i love, so i'd rather not treat if i didn't have to. also is whitespot cure bad for plecs? i have some in the tank with the betta.

very annoyed!

Caserole said:

Guppylovers increase the temp to 30C, all the fish you have mentioned like it warm ( or can handle it for a short time ) and it will kill the white spot .

This is by far the best way to treat fish that are susceptible to medications, (the natural non med way) and you can even go a bit higher in the temp with safety.

WS can't survive at high temps, and 90F will kill them.

What the heat does is..

It speeds up the cycle of the WS and because of the heat it will quickly drop from the fish.

Once you see the spots are going, you should siphon the bottom every day to remove as many cysts as possible, as once they split and open up they are then ready to find another host.

Ensure the water you replace is at the right temp.

Because of the temp you must increase the air input to the tank, and as Stu says.. you "must" bring the temp back down very gradually over a few days.

Needless to say... Be VERY careful with wet hands and implements that might transfer the disease to other tanks.

Bill.

not sure if all of my plecs like the tank that warm. and one of the fighters is in the CATFISH tanks! (i.e. another passion of mine is catfish, they are not just there to suck debris off the bottom).

it says to use the whitespot cure now and in 3 days time. what do you guys do?

thanks for input